Zebra Muscle question.

jimsplace

According to TPW "Zebra mussels have a free-swimming, microscopic larval stage called a veliger. Any water collected from water bodies where zebra mussels are present could contain veligers. To prevent the accidental transport of zebra mussel veligers to other water bodies, any person leaving the specified water bodies would be required to drain or empty all water from bait buckets, live wells, bilges, and any other water intake systems or containers before the use of a public roadway."

My question is, Does that include draining the motor, as it certainly has a water intake system?
I know the muscles are a serious concern and major efforts are being made to protect waterways that are not already infected.
    :smile17:

scarabscs

my understanding is that you need to drain everything that is readily accesible.  TXPWL is extremely serious about zebra, and will not allow boats that have water dripping from them to enter other bodies of water (in the area there are known zebra muscles.) 

Carnivalride

To my understanding from the KDPW site that hot soapy water from a car wash will kill the zebra muscles. If that is the case wouldn't the heat from the engine kill them? I know my engine drains down to about the water pump ports so the water remaining should be hot enough to kill them.

Devilman

Supposedly, it does include draining the engine. But, read on TPWD website that water of 140F would kill the mussels & larvae. Seems most any boats would be running at least that temperature... and after shutting down & the circulation of water has stopped, wouldn't the water temp. rise from there for at least short period of time? Also read where those things can survive out of water up to 5 days. They are doing what they can, but from what little I just read this morning, they are slowly spreading. They have found them in a few of the central & north Texas lakes so far.

KONA77

with that said,  and yes,  the engine temp is definitely going to go up when you load the boat,  unless you haven't got it warm before loading,  the main concern,  would be live wells,  bilges, and anything that has been filled be the infected lake water,  so by draining these compartments,  and washing them out when you get the boat home would take care of any of these issues...

jimsplace

KONA said:
with that said,  and yes,  the engine temp is definitely going to go up when you load the boat,  unless you haven't got it warm before loading,  the main concern,  would be live wells,  bilges, and anything that has been filled be the infected lake water,  so by draining these compartments,  and washing them out when you get the boat home would take care of any of these issues...

I'll certainly make sure the live wells in my flatbottom V-Drive are emptied.

Crusader

If I know I'm going from one lake to another, I'll typically flush the motor and pump with the hose. My bilge doesn't retain water as I pull the plug on the ramp immediately as the boat comes out of the water.