WTB GGB Header Inserts

Whaler

Looking for a pair of GGB header inserts for my 4” collector Bassets. Company doesn’t support marine stuff anymore and I’ve read lots of favorable comments about their efficiency.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
From what I have seen people run in the past. They take a few small pieces of pipe, and weld them together into a small cluster. Looks kind of like comb from a bee hive. Then they weld a small mounting tab to the bottom that will allow them to bolt them into the header. The pipe offers minimal restriction, but will stop a flashlight when inserted into the header to see if you have baffles. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about noise enforcement lately. Just always run water to not draw attention to yourself. They like to see the steam I guess.

Whaler

That’s a good idea. At present I don’t have the plumbing for wet headers although my Bassets have the plumbing bosses installed and currently plugged. I’ll need to look into the plumbing further than I have but from what I’ve read so far is a little discouraging… valves, pills, switches, rpm limits, etc. I try to minimize those apparatus in my life. Should I get over it and get in line? lol

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, simplicity is best. The jet boats use the Berkley T-valve. They work great as long as you clean and check them every once in a while.

Whaler

I’m a v-drive. I read a comment on an old post that said “do you want to buy your mufflers before or after your excessive noise ticket?” I think that’s spot on. When I was involved with drag racing NHRA wanted to muffle the sportsman classes in the mid-nineties and most guys sucked it up and bought the Borla units. Today they’re $725/ea. and I’m not certain they can get under the 90 db all the way to say 3000 rpm. I’ve even considered thru-transom exhaust but the setup doesn’t appeal to me on a flat bottom. The shotgun tips may be the way to go although the look isn’t ideal. They claim a 14 db reduction, no performance hit and improved low to mid range. I still have 3 months to figure something out before Plowman’s get together so there’s hope!

Last edited:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't think that a muffler would be that bad. There are a few lakes in Texas that do not allow over - transom exhaust. So always ask before you tow any kind of distance with your boat.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Man I looked at the marine mufflers at Summit, wholly crap batman! They are way expensive compared to automotive mufflers! Of coarse they are allot prettier too!

Whaler

That’s funny. After lots of research it seems the best option for me is the 4” Gibson clamp-on mufflers. They’re priced between $600-737, depending where you buy them. The Borla 4-pipe mount setup is quality stuff but it’s overpriced imo, and it removes the collector extension area (4”) where the real scavenging is created in the header. That area, just downstream of the 4 to 1 collector, should ultimately be no less than a continuous constant diameter pipe of no less than 14”. At least this was the case in moto-GP bike exhaust. This isn’t hyperbole, it’s dyno proven. The same physics apply to these headers, the collector creating a venturi of high velocity exhaust gasses and the same diameter (4”) pipe must be maintained for no less than 14”. This creates a high velocity column of hot gases ripping through the tail section creating monster vacuum. Damn,… I need a cigarette.

So what about the Borla… they interrupt that continuous pipe section and you have to accept their science in lieu of the aforementioned dyno proven results. It’s a leap of faith at what they’re charging for these mufflers. Also, if you don’t care for the sound, db, or performance hit you get to weld the collector and tailpipes back on that you previously cut off to install the Borla.

At least with the Gibson mufflers, you clamp on aft of the continuous 4” pipe segment, you can remove both in 10 mins if you want open headers, and they’re much more affordable and they boast 304 stainless steel throughout.

Today I’m having delivered ChemicalGuys 2 disk 4” header insert. Yes, it will impede the gas flow some, but I’m willing to do that in order to reduce my db in a cost effective manner. It’s a gamble whether the compromise will be acceptable but it’s $130 I’m willing to wager. If it doesn’t fly then I’m buying the Gibsons.

Wet pipes don’t interest me. I have black Basset twisties that love heat as does the exhaust gas in the velocity sense.

What the hell just happened? Oh yeah, I had a second cup of coffee!

Devilman

From what I have seen people run in the past. They take a few small pieces of pipe, and weld them together into a small cluster. Looks kind of like comb from a bee hive. Then they weld a small mounting tab to the bottom that will allow them to bolt them into the header. The pipe offers minimal restriction, but will stop a flashlight when inserted into the header to see if you have baffles. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about noise enforcement lately. Just always run water to not draw attention to yourself. They like to see the steam I guess.
Ah yes, the ol' Silent Choice 3000s, lol.... 😄 RIP HPJunkie 😇:cool:

Devilman

I wouldn't think that a muffler would be that bad. There are a few lakes in Texas that do not allow over - transom exhaust. So always ask before you tow any kind of distance with your boat.
Fuggin Coleto Creek comes to mind... there are others discussed here in the past, but not sure any I've ever been to

Devilman

Good to know… I’m working feverishly to reduce my db.
I'm not sure there is a good way to substantially reduce noise with an insert unfortunately. The Bassett baffles I used in the past took the edge off I guess you'd say, exhaust didn't sound as crisp if that makes sense. But may be enough to keep the five-0 off yer back. You can research here, there was some pretty good discussion of this topic back in the day. It seemed like most interactions with the wardens regarding noise, if you had something in there, it was like, "Well, at least you're trying" and that'd be that lol 😄

That said, I still have my baffles. I'd say you'd be welcome to try them, but I don't think we're making it to this Plowmans deal coming up so not of much help.

Whaler

I'm not sure there is a good way to substantially reduce noise with an insert unfortunately. The Bassett baffles I used in the past took the edge off I guess you'd say, exhaust didn't sound as crisp if that makes sense. But may be enough to keep the five-0 off yer back. You can research here, there was some pretty good discussion of this topic back in the day. It seemed like most interactions with the wardens regarding noise, if you had something in there, it was like, "Well, at least you're trying" and that'd be that lol 😄

That said, I still have my baffles. I'd say you'd be welcome to try them, but I don't think we're making it to this Plowmans deal coming up so not of much help.
What kind of inserts do you have available?

Whaler

Just installed chemicalguys two disc baffle and they helped tame the raspy sound. I’m going to put some outings on these and see where it gets me. I’m willing to take those off your hands if you’re looking to make a little space. PM me

Devilman

Just installed chemicalguys two disc baffle and they helped tame the raspy sound. I’m going to put some outings on these and see where it gets me. I’m willing to take those off your hands if you’re looking to make a little space. PM me
Done 👍