Winter Upgrades/Repairs?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
So does anyone have any upgrades or repairs planned for the down season?

I am going to finish the engine cover for my Hawaiian so I can hopefully splash the Ol girl once more next year! I have only had the engine cover sitting there for 6 years I think.  crazy.gif

73 Sanger Flat

I need to cut my prop shaft and move the prop under the boat some , but not sure if I will or not .. It is all covered up and winterized ..

Devilman

Same ol shit with me, I've got a few things to do but whether I actually get around to it is another story.  crazy.gif

Top of the list would be to finish what got started on my trailer repair situation... mainly rewiring the lights and attaching the bunks with some more permanent hardware. The white zip ties don't match all that well, lol.

TexasJet

New headers for the  CP. Old ones have a few holes from rusting. I will spray the new ones with high temp paint on the inside..

Devilman

TexasJet said:
New headers for the  CP. Old ones have a few holes from rusting. I will spray the new ones with high temp paint on the inside..

Never thought about doing high temp paint in there. I had read on Bassett's website to spray inside the headers with WD-40 after use to help prevent rust so thats what I usually did.

TexasJet

My holes are just past the water injection connection. WD 40 wouldn't get there once they are installed.

FL350

Administrator
Not building anything for my boats this winter. Just concentrating on customers boats. Oh hell I might stick this engine in and run the Color Me Gone as a K boat crazy.gif

Attachments

• 97AE6E37-0513-4857-A375-987B84840AD6.jpeg
    97AE6E37-0513-4857-A375-987B84840AD6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
  • 343BFC0D-96C7-451D-B943-151138BAAA0F.jpeg
    343BFC0D-96C7-451D-B943-151138BAAA0F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 79

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
That is way cool! clap.gif clap.gif

I always wondered what would be the best method to keep O/T headers alive. Seem like running water through them would accelerate the corrosion process if they didn't have something to coat them internally.  think.gif

Devilman

TexasJet said:
My holes are just past the water injection connection. WD 40 wouldn't get there once they are installed.

I'd spray enough through the collector that it would run out the weep holes at the bottom of the tubes. Granted, still not 100% coverage inside the tubes themselves. My biggest gripe about them, is that during the chroming process, the chrome doesn't get down between and the underside of the tubes completely. Once they get funky there, it's not easy bringing them back.

Devilman

Patchman said:

I always wondered what would be the best method to keep O/T headers alive. Seem like running water through them would accelerate the corrosion process if they didn't have something to coat them internally.  think.gif

Bassetts website also says to run the engine 30 seconds or so without water to dry them out inside. I know you've seen/heard people revving the engine after being pulled up the ramp out of the water. When I first got my boat I just figured people were showing off, but maybe there is something to it, lol... :smile16:

Honestly I think buying new headers every so often is just part of the deal. I was dissapointed in mine, lot of $$$ to go south as soon as they did. Ceramic coating them is about the only way I ever heard to keep them looking good, but I haven't seen a coating yet that looked as good as chrome. :smile17:

beaverfab

I pulled a motor down from the loft to put in my new boat it’s going to be ready by spring. Just trying to not go to wild.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
Patchman said:

Bassetts website also says to run the engine 30 seconds or so without water to dry them out inside. I know you've seen/heard people revving the engine after being pulled up the ramp out of the water. When I first got my boat I just figured people were showing off, but maybe there is something to it, lol... :smile16:

Honestly I think buying new headers every so often is just part of the deal. I was dissapointed in mine, lot of $$$ to go south as soon as they did. Ceramic coating them is about the only way I ever heard to keep them looking good, but I haven't seen a coating yet that looked as good as chrome. :smile17:

Yea, I think the coated headers are probably the way to go! Chrome is for those guys who like to look at themselves in the mirror! :evil:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
beaverfab said:
I pulled a motor down from the loft to put in my new boat it’s going to be ready by spring. Just trying to not go to wild.

Good luck with that one. Your not known for just a single carb N/a motor in your boats! :smile16:

beaverfab

Huh have not thought about it that way Patch but my circle boat only had one carb but 2 turbos so you may have a point. Only one carb for this one. JJ  jump.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
beaverfab said:
Huh have not thought about it that way Patch but my circle boat only had one carb but 2 turbos so you may have a point. Only one carb for this one. JJ  jump.gif

Looking forward to seeing it at any rate!

TexasJet

My son and I took the CP to Somerville Monday to heat up the motor and change the oil and filter. What a beauty of a day. We knew what was coming today. Anyway, I bought one of those oil extractor cans where you pump up a vacuum in the can and it sucks the oil out. It worked great, I got 9.5 quarts out of a 10 quart system. Now we have to wait for Spring.