WINTER MAKE OVER

YB 468

GOING TO REBUILD ENGINE, PUMP, AND NEW INTERIOR AND MAYBE SOME FRESH PAINT ON THE TRAILER. INTERIOE IS OUT AND PUMP IS APART. MIKE'S PUMP AND SPEED BUILT THE PUMP 15 YRS AGO. THERE ARE A COUPLE THINGS I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT. THERE IS A GREASE SERT ON THE SUCTION HOUSING AND THE HOLE GOES THROUGH THE WEAR RING TO THE OD OF THE IMPELLER. MAKES NO SINCE TO ME.MAYBE ITS A RACE THING TO TIGHTEN THE TOLERANCE FOR BETTER HOLE SHOT? NEXT IS WHAT IS THE RECEMENDED CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE ID OF THE WEAR RING TO THE OD OF THE IMPELLER?

Gold Member

Some of the racers that don't have ratchets to disengage the pump on warm up put grease serts at the wear ring so they can start them out of the water without damaging anything.

Becket

Motor Head said:
Some of the racers that don't have ratchets to disengage the pump on warm up put grease serts at the wear ring so they can start them out of the water without damaging anything.
This leads right back to Why? These parts dont' touch? If they do, something is wrong.  think.gif

YB 468

Its been a slow go on tear down but managed to get interior out apart and rebuild and readt for some new threads. Block is at the machine shop and got word on it today. Ordered internals today and will drop interior off friday. :smile13: Hope fully be back on the water by April 1.

Becket

YB 468 said:
Its been a slow go on tear down but managed to get interior out apart and rebuild and readt for some new threads. Block is at the machine shop and got word today on it today. Ordered internals today and will drop interior off friday. :smile13: Hope fully be back on the water by April 1.
Use the Red bench in the back ground and you will have a 6 seater!

Ah, But then no room for the Beer cooler, Never mind.

hellnback

Gas-Hole said:
Motor Head said:
This leads right back to Why? These parts dont' touch? If they do, something is wrong.  think.gif
If it's running real tight it may heat enough to expand and gaul or maybe something like that :)

Becket

hellnback said:
Gas-Hole said:
Motor Head said:
If it's running real tight it may heat enough to expand and gaul or maybe something like that :)
Best explanation I have gotten yet says that when running dry, the shaft can shake enough to make contact but does not shake when loaded (in the water) I dunno, Guess I will see when I pull mine, I crank it dry, keep in mind I dont "Run" it dry, just crank to be sure all systems are go before unloading, if running Mill for check up on the Trailer I use water hose.

blazeracer

I fit's running tight, maybe. Then just shove a water hose up the intake and run it for a short period. I run mine dry all the time for half a minute or so. No race pump here. Seems to me though if your bowl bearing is tight there should be no movement at all.

Anyway, great work so far on this boat. Keep it up and keep the pics coming.

YB 468

IT'S GOING TO BE BORDER LINE WITH A .060 WEAR RING IN IT. MIGHT NEED A CUSTOM RING BUILT. GOING TO HOLD ON TO IT UNTIL I GET MY ENGINE TOGETHER AND FIND OUT SOME HP NUMBERS ON IT.