Will 2 of these 1000gph bilge pumps be enough?

galen

Bought 2 of these lightweight bilge pumps rated 1000gph. Takes a 3/4 id hose. Thinking on mounting both side by side in case one fails. My boat gets a lot of water in it when you let off. What do you think?  Will they be large enough to keep up?

Crusader

Galen. Are you going to install an automatic float switch on them?

I think a combined total of 2,000gph should be plenty.

ChryslerJet

Those would move a lot of water especially if you have a float switch on one and flip switch on the other.  Run one in automatic mode and the other in manual mode only when you need it.  A 500 gph pump moves a ton of water (almost 10 gal per minute) a combined 2000gph would clean the water right out of the boat in no time (about 33 Gal per minute).

Becket

That will get out allot of water for sure, I would put one on a manual switch and one on a float, then, I would turn on that pump before I shut down KNOWING that it is fixing to take on water, the float operated pump could kick on if the other did not keep up.

But thats just me.  :smile17:

galen

Thanks guys, good idea on the float switch on one of them. Way better then remembering to turn the old one on when the water hit my feet.  These are cool little pumps, fit in the palm of your hand. 2 of them combined are 1/4 the weight of the old steel pump that was in it and shook apart.

73 Sanger Flat

Galen , I am sure they will be fine as long as you don't let me drive anymore ..There not a pump big enough for what I did out there ..  LOL ..

That is a good way to hook them up . One on auto and one manual ..

ChryslerJet

one thought you could wire a micro switch to the Hot foot as well that way when you are on full throttle it will keep it off and when you take your foot off it then it will turn it on.  I would wire it in series with a dash toggle so you have a manual override as well.  Holler if you have any questions about wiring it up.

ChryslerJet

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Galen , I am sure they will be fine as long as you don't let me drive anymore ..There not a pump big enough for what I did out there ..  LOL ..

That is a good way to hook them up . One on auto and one manual ..
Billy just create a way to redirect the jet intake from outside the boat to the inside of the boat and the jet pump will get rid of that water in short order. 

Oh wait that's right you guys have Vdrives.
crazy.gif

spd500

I guess I will ask the obvious . Why don't you put a splash guard on the boat and try to keep some of the water from swamping the boat in the first place ? All that water coming over the back of the boat will eventually screw something up , just a matter of time before you will be buying starters , alternayors , maybe MSD , who knows .

73 Sanger Flat

It not really the water that come over the back of the boat when you stop or slow down . the water Galen is talking about it when the boat come back down from a hard run , the sponsons kicks up water and it just flows right into the boat . Not going to be able to do anything about that water..  The first time it did that . I thought we broke a water hose or something in the boat , but with observers on the bank and us watching on the second hard pass , we could actually see the water sparying over the side of the boat when we got out of the throttle .

Galen boat actually has a pretty high section in the back that act like a splash guard  , and I do not think it needs anything higher back there ..

RandyJET

I always found putting all the plugs in cut down on the volume of water entering my boat it seemed their absence resulted in no bilge pump keeping up. It is my suggestion you try using the plugs to limit water entering the bilge compartment.

jimsplace

RandyJET said:
I always found putting all the plugs in cut down on the volume of water entering my boat it seemed their absence resulted in no bilge pump keeping up. It is my suggestion you try using the plugs to limit water entering the bilge compartment.

Actually, it's his lovely wife's responsibility. 
The plugs don't seem to get left out now.
        :smile17:

galen

My plugs stay in a little bag tied to the front tiedown pin. That way when I am having a CRS day they don't get left out. :grin: