Who's the audio guru ???

Knotty Girl

Devilman said:
Knotty said:
Now buy some batteries.  crazy.gif

Sez the guy whose boat wouldn't start.... :grin:

I know I know, different problem... but still. :laugh:

Busted  :smile26:  I have a new starter and two new batteries, fires right up.  :smile16:

blazeracer

I was just at Fry's electronics and they have a solar battery tender. Would that keep a battery alive while cranking tunes all afternoon? I want to say it was rated for 15 amp charge rate, maybe?? That would be sweet to just throw it up on the front deck and plug into the cigarette lighter and not worry about the batteries draining.

Maybe it was one of these...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/solar-energy-systems/15-watt-solar-12v-battery-charger-kit-with-7-amp-charge-controller-8500020

ChryslerJet

blazeracer said:
I was just at Fry's electronics and they have a solar battery tender. Would that keep a battery alive while cranking tunes all afternoon? I want to say it was rated for 15 amp charge rate, maybe?? That would be sweet to just throw it up on the front deck and plug into the cigarette lighter and not worry about the batteries draining.

Maybe it was one of these...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/solar-energy-systems/15-watt-solar-12v-battery-charger-kit-with-7-amp-charge-controller-8500020
Battery Tenders don't put out more than 1-2 amps max.  To get 15 amps it would have to be the size of the front deck of one of our boats.  At 15 amps not sure it would keep up with a kicking stereo system as the stereo may be okay since it will only draw 5-10 amps but the amp itself will draw much more than that more like 20 amps or more.  The louder you want it the more amps needed.  Would be easier to install a small generator onboard and run that instead. Now if we could build them into a hard bimini folding top that would be enough room for the size of panels needed and be way cool. If I coul dfit 6 that would be 36 amps.  Costs about $100 in parts to build one of them.

(Note to self add to patent list a collapsible hard shell bimini top with integrated solar panels.)

No one steal that idea now.

James to use the one you liked to you would need to have at least 4 of those panels. 

Edit: Rethinking that one James posted the numbers don't add up to 7 amps.  Volts X Amps = Watts so 15 watts / 12 v = 1.25 amps so even though the charge controller is rated for 7 amps the panel is only putting out 1.25 amps at its best.  In that case you would need 24-30 of them to power a stereo.  I think a custom made set would be the ticket.  I think i need to revive that project that sitting on the shelf due to lack of time.  The panel I am building or was since it was set aside is 20"x26" and will produce 6 amps at 18volts to account for not having direct sunlight all the time.  I think I could fit 4 of those fairly easily on a Bimini top and have 24 amps of power to recharge the batteries.

John

smaller boats my not have the room for this but two 24 deep cycles tied together will run mine all day.

stickman07

I'm gonna see how long this system will run on one 34 Optima blue, if not long enough I'll add another one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S bought with UNION Dollars ! 🇺🇸🚒

scarabscs

You should get pretty good run time with that 1 x 34.

It says reserve capacity is about 120 minutes putting out a constant 25 amps.

stickman07

47355f50-8f6a-46c5.jpg

stickman07

Went for a little float & sandbar action yesterday afternoon, 2 1/2- 3 hrs cranking on the blue top no problem. Gonna have to adjust the amp on the rears cause they are pumpin' too much bass and kinda sound like crap when cranked. Didnt know when I ordered the unit that I would have to have a special iPod cable to to play off of so just robbed a RCA from the home stereo to run it off AUX in & gonna order the Bluetooth adapter as well. A little fine tuning and it'll freakin jam I'm sure.

I guess I'm gonna have to get a YouTube account so I can attach videos, thought I had one back in the day but can't remember how to get in it, or I could just let y'all see it Rockin' the Cove.

ChryslerJet

stickman07 said:
Went for a little float & sandbar action yesterday afternoon, 2 1/2- 3 hrs cranking on the blue top no problem. Gonna have to adjust the amp on the rears cause they are pumpin' too much bass and kinda sound like crap when cranked. Didnt know when I ordered the unit that I would have to have a special iPod cable to to play off of so just robbed a RCA from the home stereo to run it off AUX in & gonna order the Bluetooth adapter as well. A little fine tuning and it'll freakin jam I'm sure.

I guess I'm gonna have to get a YouTube account so I can attach videos, thought I had one back in the day but can't remember how to get in it, or I could just let y'all see it Rockin' the Cove.
you can put videos on photobucket too