Who's been boating on Lake Amistad?

Crusader

My wifes family is having a family reunion over Labor day weekend at their lake house on Amistad. They're also renting a houseboat. Who's been boating there? Is it worth the effort to bring a boat down there? I am seriously thinking about taking the Crusader there with us.

Devilman

Never been there, but its on my list of places to go. Henry has been boating out there. Duane has as well. Few others. I would definitely take the boat if you were able!

Dry Dock

Used to take customers there on fishing trips.  Be sure and take the boat and by all means go to Comstock and up the Pecos river.  It is tall limestone cliffs and very pretty trip.

Also over E. of Diablo East the hills that come out into lake have caves in them.  We used to pull boats completely inside cave and have lunch in cool shade.

Depending on boat you can go for miles and miles....... couple areas so expansive been out fishing and gotten sea sick when wind is up.  had to go over in a slew and settle down. it is a very pretty lake.

I would stay off the Mexican side for safety purposes.  I am sure some of the guys have been more recently than I have. 

Chevy2184

Up the Devils river is a beautiful boat ride!! We have taken the jets up their plenty of times.... Plenty of big nice coves to get in and chill and listen to some tunes! And. crystal clear water! You will get cooked if you don't pay attention! Lol

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

Crusader

Chevy2184 said:
Up the Devils river is a beautiful boat ride!! We have taken the jets up their plenty of times.... Plenty of big nice coves to get in and chill and listen to some tunes! And. crystal clear water! You will get cooked if you don't pay attention! Lol

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

Okay great.....thats pretty darn cool to hear.

mrgoslow

Been there several times. It's large when full. It will feel awkward in a 19' boat. It's somewhat low now so you will be hiking up to caves if I remember correctly. The landscape changes dramatically with the level so it's kind of like exploring a new lake when it's up or down. It's one of my favorites. Always a cove to hang in if it gets windy. Ramps are great and long.

You better check on houseboats. I don't think they rent them anymore and by all means do not boat into Mexico. Not worth risking family. Enjoy!

Crusader

mrgoslow said:
Been there several times. It's large when full. It will feel awkward in a 19' boat. It's somewhat low now so you will be hiking up to caves if I remember correctly. The landscape changes dramatically with the level so it's kind of like exploring a new lake when it's up or down. It's one of my favorites. Always a cove to hang in if it gets windy. Ramps are great and long.

You better check on houseboats. I don't think they rent them anymore and by all means do not boat into Mexico. Not worth risking family. Enjoy!

Thanks!

Ya, I don't plan on going anywhere near Mexico...thats for sure.

Really looking forward to it now.

Gopher711

Watch for sudden storms  that might flare up , it's a DEEP lake and when wind and storms hit it gets pretty bad on the open water and Huge waves , not a place to be in a jetboat that can take on water and sink pretty easily . On the same note waves will pound the shit outta your boat as most of it is a rock bank beach areas ....other than that it was really nice when I was there  :smile17:

Crusader

Gopher711 said:
Watch for sudden storms  that might flare up , it's a DEEP lake and when wind and storms hit it gets pretty bad on the open water and Huge waves , not a place to be in a jetboat that can take on water and sink pretty easily . On the same note waves will pound the s*** outta your boat as most of it is a rock bank beach areas ....other than that it was really nice when I was there  :smile17:

Ya, thanks....good to keep in mind. My boat is a daycruiser so a moderate chop from a storm is tolerable......but big ocean type stuff isn't doable at all.