what model of Berkley?

Devilman

veestyle said:
12JC with jetovator. you really want a panther pump though.

lol :cheesy:

KONA said:
really can't see enough to be 100% for sure,  but I believe it's a JE with place diverter

was thinking one of the insert pumps as well. what is the difference between JE & JF?

73sanger

it an E same as whats in mine, god pump so far no complaints and urs already has a diverter.... this winter mine will get a split bowl and diverter

PLANEJIM

I will make this quick but I need advice-Many of you know I bought my first jet boat two weeks ago and been to the river three times-I heard a noise this afternoon and immediately put it on the trailer.  After I got home I pulled the oil filter off and notice 3 copper flakes about the size of my pinkie finger nail in the top of the filter-I just changed the oil yesterday with filter.  I figured my motor was gone and probably is but I wanted to go faster anyway and thought I found a said reason to pull this motor. 

The  real surprise when my neighbor and I was showing him the flakes and ask him about the impellar on the pump and he open the inspection hole and stated  "Holy ****)-attached are the picks of my pump-I took close up so that maybe I can identify what pump and I do not know what to do -any thoughts would help. 

I am at the crossroad of new pump or rebuild this one and another engine and what would you do-thanks

Disturbed

I would guess that your pump thrust bearing failed.  This allowed your impeller to eat the wear ring and subsequently, wiped out your main bearing in the engine.

Just a guess.  And just $.02.

I hope it's not all that!  Good luck. 

blazeracer

Seen it before where the bearing in the pump goes out and pushes the crank on the motor forward trashing the thrust bearing in the motor. Looks like the wear ring is fused to the impeller? Definitely the kind of pump bearing failure that destroys a motor. Bet it runs hot too.

100% 12-JE pump. I have one with all the good stuff in it. It works well. Is it on a Taylor SS?

Crusader

DISTURBED said:
I would guess that your pump thrust bearing failed.  This allowed your impeller to eat the wear ring and subsequently, wiped out your main bearing in the engine.

Just a guess.  And just $.02.

I hope it's not all that!  Good luck. 

blazeracer said:
Seen it before where the bearing in the pump goes out and pushes the crank on the motor forward trashing the thrust bearing in the motor. Looks like the wear ring is fused to the impeller? Definitely the kind of pump bearing failure that destroys a motor. Bet it runs hot too.

100% 12-JE pump. I have one with all the good stuff in it. It works well. Is it on a Taylor SS?

My guess too.

The copper you saw in your oil filter was more than likely a bearing failure in your mains or rod bearings....My guess anyway.

I had a thrust bearing go out in my pump last summer....and because of that, i trashed a new motor.

The pump is pretty easy to rebuild with the correct tools.... I wouldn't replace your pump, just rebuild it with a kit from Tom at Jetboat Performance.

Your 12 JE is "wounded" due to loss of thrust control from thrust bearing failure (damaged impeller and wear ring) but can likely  be easily saved and back in the water in no time... Tom

PLANEJIM

The story gets worse-pulled the motor, as I was pulling the flex plate off the crank I noticed patches of JB Weld on both sides of the engine on block.  The patches of JB Weld were loose and they popped off like plaster with a slight push of screwdriver.  Surprise, Surprise-this engine block has been patched and put back together-WHAT A JOKE-this was a poor buy on my part and definitely needs a engine now.

I am lost for words, frustrated, aggravated and just was starting to enjoy the JetBoat Scene-

PLANEJIM said:
The story gets worse-pulled the motor, as I was pulling the flex plate off the crank I noticed patches of JB Weld on both sides of the engine on block.  The patches of JB Weld were loose and they popped off like plaster with a slight push of screwdriver.  Surprise, Surprise-this engine block has been patched and put back together-WHAT A JOKE-this was a poor buy on my part and definitely needs a engine now.

I am lost for words, frustrated, aggravated and just was starting to enjoy the JetBoat Scene-

Try not to get discouraged , I know its tough Epoxy (mil spec) when properly applied is an acceptable repair , you may be able to slavage this deal  call if we can advise a bit .. Tom

blazeracer

Pick your poison and get er going!

Ford...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/pts/3861648019.html

Chevy...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/3900673109.html

Olds...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/3789424068.html

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It can be fixed! Don't get too discouraged, we have the technology to get you running again! :smile16:

PLANEJIM

I think I am going with a marine shortblock reman out of place in Tyler.  $1075.00 with no core required.  Removing the pump today-if I can get the impellar off the shaft-it seems stuck!

jdeaton

I got one of their short blocks for the Liberator, DON'T THROW AWAY ANYTHING.  YOU WILL NEED ALL SORTS OF NUTS BOLTS AND BRACKETS.  I let mine go with the old block and some of the parts are hard to find.  think.gif