What are you guys using for trailer tires?

galen

Mine are weather cracked bad and need replaced. Since I tow 600 plus miles to come down can I use just a standard 195/75/14 car radial? The carlisle trailer tires are pricey and I have read some people are having issues with them.

Knotty Girl

galen said:
Mine are weather cracked bad and need replaced. Since I tow 600 plus miles to come down can I use just a standard 195/75/14 car radial? The carlisle trailer tires are pricey and I have read some people are having issues with them.

I have those on one of my trailers, no problems.

Becket

Just don't goto Discount Tires and tell them you want Trailer Tires, they don't sell "Trailer" Tires.  crazy.gif

jimsplace

Trailer tires are more durable and designed to slide when turning with a tandem trailer.  Everything I have heard is that trailer tires are better on trailers than passenger car tires.
With that said, I run passenger car tires and have for years.  Most boater I know do also.

For many of us, the tires get old and need to be replaced due to age long before they wear out.
      :smile17:

galen

Jim, I was curious what the difference was beside sidewall ply rating. It has car radials on it now. Tread is great just dry rotted from age.  Been using tires and wheels from my car trailer, just getting tired of swapping back and forth.

blazeracer

Trailer tires have a stronger sidewall that is designed to take the shock of the trailer bouncing. Cars and trucks have a way softer suspension that doesn't abuse the tires nearly as hard as a trailer does. At least that's what the tire shop guy down the street from me said when I changed my car tires for trailer tires.

jimsplace

blazeracer said:
Trailer tires have a stronger sidewall that is designed to take the shock of the trailer bouncing. Cars and trucks have a way softer suspension that doesn't abuse the tires nearly as hard as a trailer does. At least that's what the tire shop guy down the street from me said when I changed my car tires for trailer tires.

Yes, with what Blueblazer said.

The other thing has to do with tandem trailers and their turning. 
Trailer tires are much more rigid in the sidewall and will hold their shape better when being turned.
Radial tires have a softer sidewall that flexes a great deal when turning with a tandem trailer. 
Radial tires, because of their softer sides may also contribute to trailer sway.

I assume you are talking about using these on your boat trailer.  If that is the case, these boat and trailers do not weigh very much and sway probably would not be an issue if you pull with a truck that tends to have a stiffer suspension. 
If you are talking of something like an enclosed trailer that is heavier, that would be a different story.  I would then recommend a trailer tire.
An alternative to both could be a truck tire, they have stiffer sides also.
My information is from what I have been told by places that sell tires.  It makes sense, but I still use radials because they look cooler. 
It's not a very good reason, but I still do it.
        :smile17: