WATER INJECTED HEADERS

txliberator

Has anybody ever experimented with injecting the water at the end of the header? I want to try this when my boat is done.  Please post any ideas/opinions.

77Jet Star

John said:
your gonna roast your headers up untill that injection point
X2  why would you want to inject water at the end? As John said unless you inject at the front of the header you will burn the chrome off.      think.gif

txliberator

Because Ive seen what happens when a basset T fails and I like to do things different (read the hard way lol). I have seen some off shore race boats with it dumping at the end and now I kinda want to try it. My headers look like crap anyways. Furthermore, to get a good read on an O2 sensor you cant use the headers with holes in em.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
So you are just injecting water for noise purposes, I didn't know that about O2 reading, but it makes sense. think.gif

Devilman

Thought there was a thread on here somewhere about doing that. They were doing it for tuning purposes O2 sensors or something like that.

Doing it for sound reduction I'd think it be pointless, can't see how it would muffle it much coming in right at the end. It would at least give the impression of running wet headers, so it probably keep the lawman from looking at ya too hard.

I hear you on the T-valve failure, been there... :tongue:

Crusader

There was a dude in lavon who had a SBC with homemade zooms on it. He ran water lines to some metal tubing with holes in it. He tacked the metal lines to the very tips of the zoomies which served no purpose at all. He said that all he had to do was run water to his exhaust and that the law didn't specify as to where the water injected into the exhaust.

Where there's a will, there's a way to get around everything.

Devilman

Crusader said:
There was a dude in lavon who had a SBC with homemade zooms on it. He ran water lines to some metal tubing with holes in it. He tacked the metal lines to the very tips of the zoomies which served no purpose at all. He said that all he had to do was run water to his exhaust and that the law didn't specify as to where the water injected into the exhaust.

7E92f.gif

just messin, lol :cheesy:

txliberator

Devilman said:
Thought there was a thread on here somewhere about doing that. They were doing it for tuning purposes O2 sensors or something like that.

Doing it for sound reduction I'd think it be pointless, can't see how it would muffle it much coming in right at the end. It would at least give the impression of running wet headers, so it probably keep the lawman from looking at ya too hard.

I hear you on the T-valve failure, been there... :tongue:

THIS...

txliberator

Devilman said:
Crusader said:

7E92f.gif

just messin, lol :cheesy:

LMAO

John

those off shore boats ar water jacked up untill the water dumps into the exaust, could go get you some lightning headers, cmi makes some with o2 sensor bungs in them allready, but  :smile13: :smile13: :smile13: :smile13: they cost more than some peoples boats on here.

outlawjet

My buddy has his Rodgers plumbed at the end of the headers , to be honest it works the same as the water injected headers( his set does not have the injection ports on them)

jimsplace

When you read the state rules, it says water manifold, which is different than headers.  Water manifold refers to the large aluminum thing the exhaust goes into from the heads, generally.  There are some water manifolds that are stainless and often used on offshore boats, but they are expensive.  Mufflers are required for anything over the transom that doesn't have a water manifold.  The State has never required both water and muffler. If you are running enough water to actually quiet the exhaust, I think your running too much water.

C

CorDog009

I think it's a pretty good idea, atleast it'll make you legal. If I ever run water injected headers again they'll either have a Banderlog valve or a solenoid on a MSD window switch. My first boat got milked down b/c of too much water going to the headers.

txliberator

Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna try it, just don't have the details figured out yet. I would like to make it spray out of the header, that way if something fails water can't get in the motor.

Devilman

I don't think it would be that hard to do, ya know? Bit of plumbing depending on what kind of valve you used.... far as the line itself, some small diameter hardline, with a fitting screwed into the collecter somewhere. I was picturing something like brakeline, bent to follow the contour of the header tubes, with the fitting coming into the side (like how evac. tubes are done) instead of from underneath. Seems like it would be a fairly clean install & sort of hidden...

Post pics when ya start riggin it up!

txliberator

I'm thinking about machining something that looks similar to a nitrous spray bar and threading one end of it.............