Vessel Safety Checks

Crusader

That's what they are doing for me, checking out both the boats at my house on Friday at 5pm. How cool is that??

Crusader

Today is the day that the guy from the Coast Guard auxiliary is going to stop by the house to do a VSC on both the boats. I'll post up a report as to how the experience went later on this evening.....I hope it's positive so I can quell some of the negativity I've read concerning VSC's from other forums.

Devilman

Negativity? Why? Seems to be a pretty cool service if ya ask me. Somebody that should know the regs front to back comes out & checks out yer stuff over. If something isn't right, they let ya know what to do to fix it. No big whoop. :wink:

As far as the sticker keeping the law off someones back, I dunno.... maybe, maybe not. Kinda like those stickers I see on some of these trucks out here. Not sure exactly what it says now, something about supporter of Texas State Troopers or something like that. These guys that have them say it helps them in case they get pulled over.

On the other hand, couple of troopers I've talked to to say when they pull someone over with those stickers on the truck, they check 'em even harder as if the driver were trying to "hide" behind the sticker... lol, no win deal I tell ya... :cheesy:

Crusader

I hear ya D-man. Those troopers you're talking about must be real pricks to begin with. Like I've mentioned earlier, when I was a boat cop many years ago....when we saw two boats near each other....we usually boarded the boat without the safety inspection sticker as they were more likely than the boat with the sticker to have a safety issue.

But hey, I'm someone who has spent his entire career dealing with airplanes and boats (mostly planes).....so when it comes to an extra set of eyes looking at something, I'm all for it. Funny thing is, the older I get, the less smarter I find out that I am....lol. I guess that's the "wisdom and age" thing kicking in. lol.

Devilman

lol, ya maybe so, but I can kinda see their reasoning behind it given the rigs we've got rolling around here in the area. :cheesy:

Far as the VSC, ya, let us know what all they check & bring up. I think I may do it as well sometime as I now have questions concerning the "shark eye" nav. lights I was looking into. Not really worried about the sticker part, but figure if I want correct information, may as well go to a reputable source.

Disturbed

Just thinking out loud here but, it might be nice to have one of those coast guard auxiliary inspectors here on THB as a member...

Crusader

DISTURBED said:
Just thinking out loud here but, it might be nice to have one of those coast guard auxiliary inspectors here on THB as a member...

Ya, that would be a great idea. When I talk to the guy this afternoon, I'll ask him what kind of sled he's running.

I plan on doing something like this but not until my kids are older, right now they're 7 and 9 so I don't have a lot of time that I can volunteer. But when they're older and don't need the old man as much, I plan on doing something like this.

TintMan

Red Horse said:
TintMan said:
Let me see if i undastand this thread...you actually called the POPO to look at your ride???? :smile29: Let me know how that works out for ya!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

You go to them when you are ready. And if there are any problems you get get a report of it for your use, not a citation. It is a freebie in the interest of safety. Hell, they will come check out your ride in your drive way.
I dont think so!!!! Last time i was checked-i asked the guy -why you pullin me over...his response-"Cause you drive a JET BOAT". I told him-No where in the law book does it say anything about drivin a jet boat bein illegal.it went downhill from there-i have no use for rentacops! But you guys carry on! :smile17: BTW-he couldnt find anything to ticket me for-just pure  harassment. I surprised his A$$ when there was nothin in my cooler but some water and a couple of hoagies!!!!ahaha

Red Horse

TintMan said:
Red Horse said:
TintMan said:
Let me see if i undastand this thread...you actually called the POPO to look at your ride???? :smile29: Let me know how that works out for ya!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

You go to them when you are ready. And if there are any problems you get get a report of it for your use, not a citation. It is a freebie in the interest of safety. Hell, they will come check out your ride in your drive way.
I dont think so!!!! Last time i was checked-i asked the guy -why you pullin me over...his response-"Cause you drive a JET BOAT". I told him-No where in the law book does it say anything about drivin a jet boat bein illegal.it went downhill from there-i have no use for rentacops! But you guys carry on! :smile17: BTW-he couldnt find anything to ticket me for-just pure  harassment. I surprised his A$$ when there was nothin in my cooler but some water and a couple of hoagies!!!!ahaha

Ethics plays a large part of getting pulled over on the water. According to the law, as soon as  you are on the water they have probable cause in the interest of safety. They really dont need a reason in the interest of safety. I know the law up one side and down the other and if I am going to get ticketed they better bring their A game. Personaly, I think I should be doing something wrong for them to come look at me, but according to the law it is in the interest of safety and if the Coast Guard has already checked me out then the local LEO has less of a reason or no reason unless he belives another regulation is being violated. Our boats do draw attention and it is part of the game. I used to get pulled over all the time in my Firebird for doing 66 in a 65, while the wife (then gf) would do 85 in her white Olds 88 and fly right by the cops.
§ 31.123. Required Response to Police Water Safety Vessel
The operator of a vessel underway, on sighting a rotating or flashing blue beacon light, shall reduce power immediately and bring the vessel to a nowake
speed and subsequent stop until the intention of the water safety vessel is understood. Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975. Amended by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 543, § 6, eff. June 14, 1989.
§ 31.124. Inspection of Vessels
(a)
In order to enforce the provisions of this chapter, an enforcement officer may stop and board any vessel subject to this chapter and may inspect the boat to determine compliance with applicable provisions.
(b)
An officer boarding a vessel shall first identify himself by presenting proper credentials.
(c)
The operator of a vessel required by this chapter to hold a certificate of number aboard the vessel shall show the certificate to the officer on demand, and failure to do so constitutes a violation of this chapter.
(d)
No person operating a boat on the water of this state may refuse to obey the directions of an enforcement officer when the officer is acting under the provisions of this chapter.
(e)
The safety of the vessel shall always be the paramount consideration of an arresting officer.
(f)
If an enforcement officer determines that a vessel and its associated equipment is being used in violation of this chapter or of any regulation or standard issued thereunder so as to create an especially hazardous condition, he may direct the operator to return to mooring, and the vessel may not be used until the condition creating the violation is corrected.
Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975.

Crusader

Okay, I know y'all were anxiously waiting for the results of the VSC...I can tell. lol.

Anyway, the VSC went well for the Whaler and I got a sticker. However for the Crusader...I need to do a few things first.

The First thing he got me on was my "TX" numbers. Apparently the numbers are supposed to be "Block" letter font and not the fancy style font I have now. I looked up the regulation and it clearly states it needs to be "Block" letter font. Okay, no biggie....I'll get block letter font TX number.

Secondly, because I have an engine compartment blower, I have to have a warning decal that states:

WARNING:

GASOLINE VAPORS CAN EXPLODE. BEFORE STARTING ENGINE CHECK ENGINE COMPARTMENT FOR GASOLINE OR VAPORS AND OPERATE BLOWER FOR 4 MINUTES​

The regulation clearly states that this only applies to vessels manufactured after July 31, 1980 (FAR 183.610 Powered Ventilation) and my boat is a 1978 model. I pointed the rule out in the regulation book to the examiner and his reply was "Before 1980, ventilation was not required in the engine compartment of a boat but since you have a blower, you need a warning decal".

Okay, fine....I'll get a warning decal.  crazy.gif

Anyway...I highly recommend anyone having a courtesy check completed on their vessel before heading out to the lake this year..... I learned a few things too and I've been boating since I was 8 years old...  whatever.gif

73 Sanger Flat

Sure is funny on how everyone interpets the law different ..

I have the block number and letter on my boat and I hate them , but atleast I know they are legal . Well i think they may be legal ,it is  according to who is looking at them that day .. LOL ..

TwZtiD

Uscg people were at comal park this weekend she looked over my boat and gave me a sticker. Quick easy process. Hopefully that sticker will acount of something when the game warden pulls you over for a check

Crusader

TwZtiD said:
Uscg people were at comal park this weekend she looked over my boat and gave me a sticker. Quick easy process. Hopefully that sticker will acount of something when the game warden pulls you over for a check

Very cool, glad you had all the required equipment. I've yet to put new "Blocked" TX numbers on my boat but when I don't I'm calling the CG Aux guy back to do another check for me.

TwZtiD

Crusader said:
TwZtiD said:

Very cool, glad you had all the required equipment. I've yet to put new "Blocked" TX numbers on my boat but when I don't I'm calling the CG Aux guy back to do another check for me.

And I was going to remove the block letters and buy the fancy ones. I'm still going to do it the blocks are so ugly

Devilman

Crusader said:
The First thing he got me on was my "TX" numbers. Apparently the numbers are supposed to be "Block" letter font and not the fancy style font I have now. I looked up the regulation and it clearly states it needs to be "Block" letter font. Okay, no biggie....I'll get block letter font TX number.

lol, you should see the numbers on Black's Taylor, that he got from Oldbuck.... Oldbuck had some fancypants TX numbers on there, looked like he sweetalked Prince into painting them on there personally..

prince_symbol2.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that......  :wink: :cheesy: :grin:

Becket

I have requested the Inspection for my Sled. Thinking back, Years ago we were stoped on Somerville and checked out, all was good and we recived a sticker then and there, And the next day at the launch a Warden aproched us and we showed him the sticker, he told us to have a good day and walked off. Why don't they do that now??
think.gif Sorta 2 birds w/1 stone.