Vessel Safety Checks

Crusader

Thanks to Red Horse, here's a link to the Coast Guards Auxiliaries (USCGA) website to schedule a Vessel Safety Check (VSC) for your sleds.

http://www.cgaux.org/vsc/

I've already contacted a USCGA rep and he's coming out to the house this Friday to do a VSC on both of our boats.

Since we are rapidly approaching spring 2011, this is a great idea for us to make sure we comply with the laws......in turn this will keep the law off our backs.

Crusader

Devilman said:
No navigation lights on my boat..

Well if you're not operating after sunset, you're all good.

I just ordered a Texas Boaters safety education course from:

http://www.boat-ed.com/tx/

The kit comes with a DVD so I figure I can get my kids to watch the video with me and maybe they'll learn something too.

Devilman

lol, ya I learned all about that couple years ago. Pretty much a jerkwad move to cite me over that deal, but what ya gonna do.  :rolleyes:

I still check out the TPW site from time to time, see if anything has changed with the regs. & it refreshes me to the current stuff. Been reading over the other link you posted, interesting & informative reading...

Red Horse

Devilman said:
lol, ya I learned all about that couple years ago. Pretty much a jerkwad move to cite me over that deal, but what ya gonna do.  :rolleyes:

I still check out the TPW site from time to time, see if anything has changed with the regs. & it refreshes me to the current stuff. Been reading over the other link you posted, interesting & informative reading...

The guy you ran into prolly lost the once in a lifetime girlfiend to a guy with a cool boat....some people think they are super important.

I like the idea of a third party validating my safety. If I ever have a problem, I am sure this will be a good mark in my column.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget that at Plowmans last year, the last guy to get harrased on the water was a USCG guy himself. The law can still harrass but may not fine you! Just saying, an inspection can't hurt but they don't all play by the same rules. think.gif

Crusader

Patchman said:
Don't forget that at Plowmans last year, the last guy to get harrased on the water was a USCG guy himself. The law can still harrass but may not fine you! Just saying, an inspection can't hurt but they don't all play by the same rules. think.gif

The cool thing about the inspection is if you pass it, you'll recieve a sticker noting that you passed a safety inspection for 2011. In my early years as a boat cop, when we saw those current safety stickers we knew that the person was recently inspected and we, most of the time (Unless they were fishing) passed them by. In most cases, the displayed stickers will keep the LE from checking you again.

This is just another tip to keep them off our backs.

oldbuck40

Patchman said:
Yea but your talking about,,,,,never mind!

Attachments

• hysterical.gif
    hysterical.gif
    34.1 KB · Views: 131

Devilman

Patchman said:

That wasn't anything to do with the condition of his boat or whether he had the proper safety equipment though... :wink:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It was checked and re-checked. He was looking for something to get him on. I believe that an inspection sticker would be fine, but the biggest hickup we have had was with Game wardens and proper boating procedure. Safety gear is pretty simple, but what is a reasonable operating speed is up for debate. They didn't like the fast boats. I myself had no problem for that very reason. Plus they don't like loud! Again I was in the clear. I really can't complain about their practices because they were fair to me. I have never had a problem with the authorities even when my gear was marginal. The sticker could help in some cases though.

Devilman

Red Horse said:
The guy you ran into prolly lost the once in a lifetime girlfiend to a guy with a cool boat....some people think they are super important.

I like the idea of a third party validating my safety. If I ever have a problem, I am sure this will be a good mark in my column.

I didn't bich about it much then & won't bich now. It was after dark when I ran it without lights. The fact that the "running after dark without lights" consisted of starting it up & idling it 30 yards from where it was beached across the no wake zone to the ramp was the aggravating part about it. :rolleyes:  It is what it is though, I learned from my mistake. :wink:

Devilman

Patchman said:
Next time I will sit on the bow with a lighter for ya buddy! :smile28:

LOL, it better be red & green or it'll still be illegal. :grin: I did buy a removable bow light that I kept in the boat in case I was gonna be out after dark. It crapped out though & I haven't replaced it.

I have entertained the thought of installing lights so I'd be covered at any moment. The thought of cutting holes in the boat is just not very appealing to me, lol...

TintMan

Let me see if i undastand this thread...you actually called the POPO to look at your ride???? :smile29: Let me know how that works out for ya!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Knotty Girl

Funny when I had my Jet I was pulled over often.  I bought my Wacker and they leave me alone and it is more over the top than my 'Ol Jet was.  They do treat Jets different no doubt.

Red Horse

TintMan said:
Let me see if i undastand this thread...you actually called the POPO to look at your ride???? :smile29: Let me know how that works out for ya!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

You go to them when you are ready. And if there are any problems you get get a report of it for your use, not a citation. It is a freebie in the interest of safety. Hell, they will come check out your ride in your drive way.