Velvet drive plumbing & other ??

Malibu Surfer

Ok guys,
Have a question on which would be the best way to plumb my velvet drive trans cooler... This is in my 65 Mandella v-drive obviously :) 454/ velvet...
I have not bought a cooler yet as I also am not sure how big or small of one would suit my needs. What would you guys suggest as far as size. Length/diameter??
I have two trains of thought on how to plumb it.
I could plumb it right before the water pump (Neovane) therefore insuring constant water even in idling situations.... Could this possibly slow my pump down or make it work harder than a smooth straight hose???? Does it matter??
Other option is using the two holes up near the v-drive that we're apparently used to cool the toploader down ( before synthetic oil ).. My only hesitation is the holes are made for forced water only, so only upon moving is water being fed. I'm not sure if I have faith due to the holes just being angled a bit. The inlet hole is just angled towards front of boat and exit is tilted back.. No ramp or anything, just holes... Would this be enough to keep water moving???? I'm skeptical.....
Any ideas or examples greatly appreciated!!!
Jason

ChryslerJet

The 360 I got for my jet had a cooler for the velvet drive it was attached to and it was plumbing between the seacock and water pump.  The two 454's I am redoing for a customer where plumbed the same way, but those were closed cooling sytems so the water was pumped from the seacock through the cooler then through the exchanger and back out.  Hope it helps not saying this is the best way just what I have seen.

73 Sanger Flat

On my old 73 Sanger V-Drive with a Velvet drive - I plumbed the water pick up from the cavitation plate to the water pump, then to the engine.  then one of the line out of the thermostat housing I routed to the the trans cooler and then dumped it overboard , the other line I used for the headers with a 1/4 turn valve on it to control the water to the headers .. This was the easiest way for me and I never had any over heating problem doing it like this and never had any problem with the velvet drive for 6 years ..
I am sure you could route it to the cooler first and then to the engine but that was a little harder for me to do on my flat and not as neat of a set up as the way i did it .. My cooler was mounted  next to the velvet drive 
Mine had the 2 holes up front by the V-Drive box also but had the little scoops to pick up water and dump water , that was what I used to cool the V-Drive on that boat . My current V-Drive  I do not cool the V-Drive . I use synthetic oil
Wished I had a picture of it , but I never took any of the inside of the Sanger
Not sure about mounting it before the water pump . It might try and make the pump cavitate and cause the pump to overheats , not sure on this . I always try and make it as short as possible  from the pump to the water , not sure if it would matters..