V-drive guy question.

jimsplace

So, the current circle boats weigh closer to 500 pounds and not 800, while the ski racing boats are in the 800 pound range.
Is your circle boat weight typical of most circle boats, and are some considerable lighter or heavier, not counting the capsule boats?
I would have assumed they would be heavier as they appear to take some beating around in the rough water.

Runner bottoms tend to be 500-600 pounds for the newer style, with the lighter weight boats closer to 380-450 pounds.
The alcohol capsule boats of course are much heavier.
    :smile17:

FL350

Administrator
Yes. Originall when Julian built these they were heavy. Back then there wasn't even a K class. I have a picture of his first boat and it had a Hilborn stack injection on it. Passenger seat turned backwards for the ski race.
If you guys remember my red boat it was built heavy. It also made for a good K boat, but it was a heavy boat. Built in 72.
After time they were built lighter. Some were built heavier for customers needs, but the bottom never changed. The current K's SS's and PS's are generally pretty light boats for the most part. Back in Febuarary when I was out in Needles, myself and Ty Newton were talking about the K66 that he drives. Boat weighs about the same as mine and hauls ass!
The circle boat Bill drives in our class is a heavier than mine and a 79 model. Might have been for customer building a K or a ski racer who knows?  But you can still make a heavier one go fast :smile17: