V-drive guy question.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
So just exactly what are the differences between a circle boat hull, and a v-drive hull ? ( Like a runner bottom) :smile21:

Disturbed

There are some runner bottoms made to run circles.  That being said, circle boats are typically true flat bottoms. 

I thought you knew all this already. 

73 Sanger Flat

The circle boats are more rounded at the  bottom back section of the boat so it will slide across the water and not dig in and flip the boat ..We need JJ to chime in here .. All I know is a circle boat will out turn by runner bottom like crazy .. I think the skags are a lot larger and  also located in a different spot to help turn .

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
DISTURBED said:
There are some runner bottoms made to run circles.  That being said, circle boats are typically true flat bottoms. 

I don't claim to know anything about V-drives! crazy.gif crazy.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I was just wondering, I've heard people address boats as old circle boats before. So I was wondering how one would actually tell the difference between the two. :smile17:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
DISTURBED said:

I don't claim to know anything about V-drives! crazy.gif crazy.gif

I bet you know more than most.  :smile30:

Dry Dock

Go to this link and there is more on circle runners.........

http://www.performanceboats.com/v-drives/270441-can-runner-bottom-used-circle-racing-2.html

Not sure of differences, but I moved from a straight flat Hondo many years ago to drag runner...... I was told boat likes to go fast and straight,  be careful on hard turns.  It does not like to turn like the old flat did.  different skag also.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Dry Dock said:
Go to this link and there is more on circle runners.........

http://www.performanceboats.com/v-drives/270441-can-runner-bottom-used-circle-racing-2.html

Not sure of differences, but I moved from a straight flat Hondo many years ago to drag runner...... I was told boat likes to go fast and straight,  be careful on hard turns.  It does not like to turn like the old flat did.  different skag also.
That's interesting.  think.gif

jimsplace

Typically a Circle boat is a lot heavier than a runner bottom.
Runner bottoms are designed more to go straight, while a Circle boat is designed to turn better and usually to turn one direction better.
Runner bottoms are better suited for drag racing, while Circle boats can handle rough water better due to their weight.
Both can be fun, it's just a matter of what you want to do with them.

Both are better than the other kinds! IMO
    :smile17:

Disturbed

jimsplace said:
Typically a Circle boat is a lot heavier than a runner bottom.
Runner bottoms are designed more to go straight, while a Circle boat is designed to turn better and usually to turn one direction better.
Runner bottoms are better suited for drag racing, while Circle boats can handle rough water better due to their weight.
Both can be fun, it's just a matter of what you want to do with them.

Both are better than the other kinds! IMO[/]
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not looking for either, just wondered what the actual difference was. I noticed it looks like they have more gunnel bracing. Figure it adds weight and strength to the hull for the side loading involved with the turning.  think.gif Just trying to educate myself on the difference! :smile17:

jimsplace

I understand, it's good know about other types of boats.
Structurally, the Circle boats take a great deal more beating than runner bottoms typically do.  They run longer distances and in rougher water.
I'm not certain on this, but I believe many circle boats will weigh something like 800 lb., while the average runner bottom will weigh closer to 550-600 lb., with the light weight ones closer to 400 lb.
The newer ones may weigh a little less, but I think that's close.

Sometimes I'll try to learn about the other types too, even though I'm not planning on changing what I have.
You know, like dropped keel.  Is that where someone dropped something and it broke?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't exactly know about that keel business. I thought only sail boats had keels! think.gif :smile21: :smile21: :smile21: Dropping it doesn't sound good though! :smile20:

73 Sanger Flat

FL350 said:
Wow, I learned something new today!
Come on Stacey educate us on these V-Drives .. Mine just sits in the shop and looks good .. It likes to go straight , but it will turn if I stand on that down pedal and stand on the gas pedal at the same time but nothing like a true circle boat that is set up correctly will do ..

jimsplace

Patchman said:
I don't exactly know about that keel business. I thought only sail boats had keels! think.gif :smile21: :smile21: :smile21: Dropping it doesn't sound good though! :smile20:

I see a lot of cross training needs to be done in the learning department.  There's nothing wrong with learning though.
It would be best to talk with someone that has a fast jet boat, they can explain about Dropped Keels better than I can.
Typically, it's intended to help make a jet boat go faster.
Sail Boats have keels also.

jimsplace

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
FL350 said:
Wow, I learned something new today!
Come on Stacey educate us on these V-Drives .. Mine just sits in the shop and looks good .. It likes to go straight , but it will turn if I stand on that down pedal and stand on the gas pedal at the same time but nothing like a true circle boat that is set up correctly will do ..

I agree, we need to get some input from someone who knows about circle boats.
If it's different than what I've posted, I'm open to learning.
I don't know anything about race boats.

FL350

Administrator
Sorry not getting back. Been real busy with customers boats, competitors boat, and ours getting ready for Paris.
I'll explain this best I can. For the ones going to Paris I can show you and you can see.
A good circle boat Biesemeyer, Revenge, or Frahs,( which were copied from a Biesemeyer) has lap strakes under the hull. That helps provide lift unlike a true flat so it won't stick to the water. Also  there are outer chines which help let the boat slice through the turns, not skip. It's almost like a tunnel from the chine to the strake. Also contrary to the belief, there is a v in the hull, not like a true flat. It's like 5 or 8 degree in it. We do have a larger Skaggs, once again to help it slice through the turn.
Now for weight differences. My yellow boat weighs jus a tad over 500 lbs , 510 to be exact. That's with the steering stringer rails, skag, and the plates and transom assy. So probably a little under 5 with a bare bone hull.
Now my red boat probably weighed close to 800lbs. But it was originally was built for ski racing. Also on my yellow boat it has a shorter plate than the red one.
Now these do not make a good drag boat. They will not e.t. At all. Partly where the rocker in the hull is located. It would be like bringing a sprint car to a drag race.
The side boards only do one thing, support the deck. They don't add any weight to it. There only 1/4" think with 10" holes drilled in them. As Julian said one time " the deck is there only to keep the water out. The real secret is on the bottom."
Now some of you know Bill Miller who drives Party to the Maxx (TAF), he also drives Mike Caruthers Dirty Harry circle boat. He said the most fun he's ever had on the water is driving these circle boats.
I hope this clarify some things. If any of you guys going to Paris stop by say hi and I can show the bottom how we set our plates and explain it better. Who knows you might want to buy one and come out and make some laps!

FL350

Administrator
Btw here's a good pic of the bottom at work. Notice the Sanger on the left as its pushing water under the hull. The Biesemeyer is slicing through it. You NEVER want them to skip. You'll get on skip maybe 2 and then it'll go over on you.