Trailer Repairs

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
oldbuck40 said:
Dang! I cant believe you finally fixed it. I never noticed on your truck but do you pull it from a ball on the bumper or a drop hitch? Pulling it dang near level would greatly increase the life of the new crossmember.

That's a good point about the hitch! :smile30:

Devilman

oldbuck40 said:
Dang! I cant believe you finally fixed it. I never noticed on your truck but do you pull it from a ball on the bumper or a drop hitch? Pulling it dang near level would greatly increase the life of the new crossmember.

I've got a drop hitch in a receiver under the bumper, on both the Dodge & the moho, so it pulls it damn near level. It doesn't drag very often, just occasionally out of a parking lot or gas station somewhere that would have a steeper angle than normal. Even trying to hit it at an angle didn't help in those cases. It just rides low, you remember Black's old Southwind, how low it rode. Taller tires wouldn't really help, they'd rub the fenders anyway. Springs are under the axle, flipping them would make it way too tall, maybe a straight axle instead of a dropped could be done sometime.

I did some looking around awhile back & found some little steel rollers that could be attached under the bottom of the frame, but didn't know if that would help or make it worse by having something that hung down even lower.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you need a shackle kit on the bad boy! Revert back to your 4wd roots man! :smile17:

customtouch

Looks good Kenny!! I like the extra bracing you guys did on it but I am a big fan of overkill. I think it would look fine going back with black on the the trailer. It is kinda an industry standard and much easier to touch up. Which ever color you decide to paint it I think the rebuild turned out great!! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

73 Sanger Flat

Looks a lot better .. Mine has those small steel rollers on the back of the trailer and it does help mine .Mine sits really lows also
.Paint it black .. It will look fine that way .. My trailer is painted black ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Tractor Supply sells a trailer paint called Magic. It works pretty good. And you can get it in a spray can, or regular quart if you want to brush it on.  :smile30:

Devilman

customtouch said:
Looks good Kenny!! I like the extra bracing you guys did on it but I am a big fan of overkill. I think it would look fine going back with black on the the trailer. It is kinda an industry standard and much easier to touch up. Which ever color you decide to paint it I think the rebuild turned out great!! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Thanks David! I hear you on the overkill. Honestly, at first I wasn't crazy about adding the braces thinking it would look like an afterthought or something along those lines, but he did a good job with it so it all worked out. Good point about the black, touch ups were one of the things I thought about.

Devilman

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Looks a lot better .. Mine has those small steel rollers on the back of the trailer and it does help mine .Mine sits really lows also
.Paint it black .. It will look fine that way .. My trailer is painted black ..

Thanks Billy. I looked around a bit after finding those rollers, but never saw much talk about them whether they helped or not. Guess they could always be added later, yours bolted on or welded on?

Devilman

DrumZilla said:
Yep... Black... clap.gif

Thanks Ed, pretty sure that's what I'm gonna do. :smile17:

Patchman said:
Tractor Supply sells a trailer paint called Magic. It works pretty good. And you can get it in a spray can, or regular quart if you want to brush it on.  :smile30:

Thanks Patch, that's good to know. For one of these days when I can get back to work on it anyway, lol  :smile24: :smile28:

73 Sanger Flat

Kenny - mine are welded on ..  If I get a chance I will take a picture next time I have it outside .. They are incorporated into my trailer .. It helps mine , but mine is very low to the ground

Devilman

Kenny - mine are welded on ..  If I get a chance I will take a picture next time I have it outside .. They are incorporated into my trailer .. It helps mine , but mine is very low to the ground

Cool, thanks.

Devilman

Crusader said:
Nice work man!

Thanks Cliff, now just need the time to finish it up. Figure worst case scenario I can stick some of those magnet lights on it if I wanna go somewhere, lol

73 Sanger Flat

Kenny - how wide is your trailer between the fenders ?  I have a trailer I am going to sell , it would not fit this other guys jet boat so I was trying to get a measurement on what a normal jet boat trailer is between fenders ..

Crusader

Kenny - how wide is your trailer between the fenders ?  I have a trailer I am going to sell , it would not fit this other guys jet boat so I was trying to get a measurement on what a normal jet boat trailer is between fenders ..

How big a boat can fit on that trailer? I need to find a temp (or great quality trailer) so I can repair or sell my trailer.

73 Sanger Flat

Crusader said:

How big a boat can fit on that trailer? I need to find a temp (or great quality trailer) so I can repair or sell my trailer.

Cliff see my post I just added .. you are more than welcome to use it if it fits