Top Mount Starter w/ shim?

Ok guys~  I have a starter issue that some of you might have ran into before. 

The situation: I upgraded my motor.  jump.gif
Thus I replaced my motor and reused the top mounted starter & bell housing rear mount- etc. 
This means I have a new block and flywheel.
I started this same motor set up on a run stand with a typical block mount starter and it started great.
clap.gif
However now using the top mount starter & bell housing it sounds like it needs to be shimmed like something bad…
think.gif
Can you shim these top mount starters?  crazy.gif
I know it was tight fitting in the bell housing so I wouldn’t see how.  crazy.gif

let me know if you know..
& I appreciate the help~!

blazeracer

Are you running a flywheel? I wonder if the starter is meant to be run with a flexplate? Is there even a difference?

veestyle

I was wondering the same james. something is different. Ricky I would try to space the starter back with thin washers to see if it stops the grinding, then make a shim for a permanent fix.  I've seen outboard starter that the drive or bendix comes up too far hitting the flywheel making a grinding sound. If this was your case, then spacing the starter back away from the flywheel would stop it. If the grinding is from excessive tooth contact, being too deep in the teeth of the flywheel then you may have to do some hunting arround for a slightly smaller drive/bendix gear or one with deeper teeth.  Gear marking compound or die-chem (forgive the spelling) would show the tooth contact patern. If the teeth on the starter were too deep I would grind them down until you had a small ammount of clearance between the teeth. That's all  I can think to do without actually looking at it. bottom line you would want to do everything to keep the top mount starter.

ChryslerJet

Pull the starter out take some pics of the flywheel and the bendix on the starter it might be possible to see the grinding marks one or both of them so we know what is actually grinding.

Sharkbit

If there is an inspection hole you can engage the starter gear with a screwdriver (or power to solenoid but not to motor) and visually check the engagement.

Yea both are/were flexplates.  Ill remove it tonight, inspect it, paint the bendix white, give it a crank and see what the tattle tale marks blabbs...  I sincerly hoping for the "brake shim" to need the attention internal to the starter..  I hear this can be added if it is a bendix depth is the issue...  (Damn I hope and not the axis to axis distance...)
  Thanks for the .02$ and ill let y'all know what happens~
Rw