Thinking about switching to an A impeller...opinions?

FormulaZR

Right now, I'm turning a stainless B to 5800-5900 rpm and running 82 mph.

The engine makes peak torque right around 4500 rpm and peak horsepower at 5800-5900 rpm.

Alright...so I'm thinking about switching to an A impeller. The main reason is to lower the cruise RPM...but I'm wonder if anyone has any insight as to what will happen to top speed.

***Also, as a side note - I think I have some new plans for the LS in the Liberator when winter gets here. I'm trying to collect all my parts now so I'll be ready to start as soon as it's too cold to boat.

duanehydro

To be honest, you won't Really know what will work until you try it with your combo.. I think you will lose top end, but gain "cruisability"( lower rpm cruise )

jimsplace

Will the loss in performance be worth the lower RPM?
I think not.

If you cruise at a lower RPM, it will only be by a small margin and you will lose performance doing it.
You may or may not improve fuel economy.  The engine may turn slower, but will be working harder doing it.
As Duanne says, the only way to know is trying.

My thought is still that you will lose performance coming out of the hole and still only be turning a few RPM less, at best.
    :smile17:

EOSpeed

IF YOU MOTOR MAKES AS MUCH TO TORQUE AS IT DOES HP TRY A 2A IMP.

FormulaZR

HellinnFrnt said:
Buy a v-drive  :smile26: clap.gif

I appreciate the idea...but no.

EOSpeed said:
IF YOU MOTOR MAKES AS MUCH TO TORQUE AS IT DOES HP TRY A 2A IMP.

550 hp and 510 ft-lbs.

EOSpeed

2 TO 4 MPH IS WHAT YOU CAN LOSE WITH THE 2A. AT 3500 RPM IT WILL USE A LOT LESS FUEL AND MORE MPH. THE NO BREATHING OLD FORD AND CHEVY CAN PICK UP 2 TO 5 MPH WITH A BIG IMP. 2A 9.25 9.5. A PAIR OF TURBO WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
EOSpeed said:
2 TO 4 MPH IS WHAT YOU CAN LOSE WITH THE 2A. AT 3500 RPM IT WILL USE A LOT LESS FUEL AND MORE MPH. THE NO BREATHING OLD FORD AND CHEVY CAN PICK UP 2 TO 5 MPH WITH A BIG IMP. 2A 9.25 9.5. A PAIR OF TURBO WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.
Twin turbo BBF! :smile16: That will hopefully be one of my next upgrades! :smile30:

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
EOSpeed said:
Twin turbo BBF! :smile16: That will hopefully be one of my next upgrades! :smile30:

I got a couple of turbos lol

FormulaZR

I have actually been back and forth with turbos. I have decided for sure I want to put a deck over my engine....so that rules out anything except jacketed turbos. Those seem to be relatively hard to find these days........

ChryslerJet

FormulaZR said:
I have actually been back and forth with turbos. I have decided for sure I want to put a deck over my engine....so that rules out anything except jacketed turbos. Those seem to be relatively hard to find these days........
The ones I have are oil and water cooled of course I don't think they are big enough for a Big Block ford but maybe my little 360 Chrysler in the CJ.

EOSpeed

THIS IS THE MOTOR FOR MY 21 HALLETT. I MY COVER IT. THE SS PIPE WATER COOLED ALL THE WAY. I JUST GOT THE SS PIPE. I WAS GOING TO USE THE BANKS. THE SS COVERS FOR THE TURBO WORK VERY GOOD THEY ARE WATER COOLED. PAUL FORD HAS A COVER AND HE HAS RUN THAT SET UP FOR 6 YEARS. THE MOTOR IN MY 18 HALLETT RUN VERY COOL  ALL BUT THE PIPE WHER THEY ARE DRY. TURBO ARE CHEAP HP.

jimsplace

EOSpeed said:
THIS IS THE MOTOR FOR MY 21 HALLETT. I MY COVER IT. THE SS PIPE WATER COOLED ALL THE WAY. I JUST GOT THE SS PIPE. I WAS GOING TO USE THE BANKS. THE SS COVERS FOR THE TURBO WORK VERY GOOD THEY ARE WATER COOLED. PAUL FORD HAS A COVER AND HE HAS RUN THAT SET UP FOR 6 YEARS. THE MOTOR IN MY 18 HALLETT RUN VERY COOL  ALL BUT THE PIPE WHER THEY ARE DRY. TURBO ARE CHEAP HP.

I will have to agree with Billy.  Listen to EO, he's been there and done it.
Paul does have twin turbo motor in his boat that has a covered engine.  I've never heard him talk about any problems with the turbo set up and covered hatch.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
EOSpeed said:
Very nice! That looks like the way to go. I'm going to start acquiring parts as I find them. I own too many projects to buy everything at once! :smile16: crazy.gif crazy.gif

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
EOSpeed said:
Very nice! That looks like the way to go. I'm going to start acquiring parts as I find them. I own too many projects to buy everything at once! :smile16: crazy.gif crazy.gif
you and me both patch

FormulaZR

Yeah, the turbos are cool. And something I have seriously considered.

Here's my issues with them (this is with regard to the fact that I REALLY want an engine cover):

1) I would have to have custom water injected manifolds built....or use CMI headers at a cost of $3200 not including the tailpipes.
2) Lots of plumbing. LOTS. Heat exchanger for cooling the turbos, and potentially a second heat exchanger for the intercooler.

Overall, I think the cost of the complete turbo "kit" would easily be $8500 or better....compared to about $5500 for the Procharger. With a max hp goal of 700, the D1SC Procharger can handle that easily. The turbos would, of course, make it easier to make higher horsepower in the future with more cubic inches. (Yes, the 383 can make more than 700 hp...but I don't think it could do it reliably at sustained high rpm)