the wifes headlights look real nice

mr rogers

sounds kinda interesting hugh? anyway not those headlights yall pervs. anybody ever have their headlight lenses redone? my wife had hers redone while she waited at a local shop. they really turned out nice, i told her yea its almost like you got a new car. she thought i was kidding. :smile26:

duanehydro

I restore 4-5 pair a year at work on some of the used cars that come through. I've used mother's, rain-x and 3-m kits. It's easy, but time consuming.

Devilman

I used the 3M kit on my truck, really brought them back to life, the Dodge & the moho are next. Like Duane said, easy, but kinda time consuming, think all said & done it was a couple hours/12 pack worth of work. If you go easy with the materials its possible to do two sets of lights with one kit.

One thing I have seen mentioned is that once you have done a restoration on the lenses, it is something that you will have to redo periodically, not sure how true that is... Maybe Duane can expand on that?

Crusader

You're correct Kenny. You will have to do it more often due to taking off the original protective coating on the plastic lenses.

SimplyOrange

you can clean them then scuff then clearcoat them with a high quality automotive clear and never have to do it again.

blazeracer

And here I was hoping to see some nice cans.........

95686.gif

ChryslerJet

SimplyOrange said:
you can clean them then scuff then clearcoat them with a high quality automotive clear and never have to do it again.
I do them on my familys cars.  I don't use a kit though.  I old school it by hand turns out much nicer in my opinion.  I wet sand them starting with 600 grit working up to 2000 grit then use a rubbing compound and polish they turn out like new.  They last quite a while like this.  It partially depends how much sun they lights get and how much time they spend with the headlights on.  If they were clearcoated would probably last as long as you own the car.  I have some that have lasted well over a year already.  It's easier to get all the way around the light if its off the car but if done on the car I run tape around the fender, hood and bumper to protect the paint.