Strut Bushing

Carnivalride

DISTURBED said:
I'm about to change my strut bushings.  Any tips?

For the fiber ones the easiest way I've found was to take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut down until you're almost to the through and then take a small screw driver and wedge it between the barrel and fiber bushing where you cut it. It should crack through relieving the tension so you can pull it back out.

73 Sanger Flat

Once you get the prop off and pull the prop shaft all the way out then do as Loren said . Cut and then pull the old one out . Be carefull and not cut to deep  .

When you install , if you cut the one bushing in half to make the front and back pieces , make sure you index it with a marker and line the marks up when you install . Sometimes the fiber bushing are not exactly round .. The one I use are normally about 6 inches long and I cut them in half to make the front and back bushings out of one ..

Disturbed

It currently has the brass with rubber insert type so, that's what I ordered to replace it.  Would it be best to remove the strut from the boat?  Thanks for the input!  jump.gif

Disturbed

Duanehydro said:
First, I'm gonna ask how you are planning on doing it? :smile17:

Carefully......  lol

Seriously, I really don't know exactly.  I was planning on driving them out then, freezing the new ones and lightly tapping them in. 

duanehydro

removing the strut may or may not take part of the bottom with it..... :smile20: depending on the sealant used....

you might not wanna go there... :smile24:

73 Sanger Flat

I would not remove the strut unless you have no other choice .
You should be able to change it out by laying under the boat .
I never changed a brass/ rubber on out so not sure on that . You might call JJ Beaver and ask him . He would know ..

73 Sanger Flat

No , just having to deal with sucking stuff up the pump , rebuilding the pump and loosing power. I guess it a pretty good trade off though ..  :smile29:

Disturbed

KONA said:
Crusader said:
If you had a Jet drive, you wouldn't have to deal with that crap.

Just sayin'......

Lol.

:smile16:  :smile16:  :smile16:  :smile16:

You funny guys forget, I used to run a jet. They suck!  :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: 

pun........ 

Carnivalride

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Once you get the prop off and pull the prop shaft all the way out then do as Loren said . Cut and then pull the old one out . Be carefull and not cut to deep  .

When you install , if you cut the one bushing in half to make the front and back pieces , make sure you index it with a marker and line the marks up when you install . Sometimes the fiber bushing are not exactly round .. The one I use are normally about 6 inches long and I cut them in half to make the front and back bushings out of one ..

oops I took it for granted that they new the propshaft had to be removed to replace the bushing. Also not that depending on your strut some bushing will need to be reamed to size after installation.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
There you go putting your finger where it don't belong! You should know Disturbed will get it with a hammer! think.gif