Spray foam

Knotty Girl

Has anyone sprayed foam in the bow of their boat?  I have a very thin bow that you cannot walk on or you will fall through. I was thinking about filling the front with some sort of foam for two reasons, one for floatation and the other for strength.  How much weight will it add?  Anybody got a comment?

Devilman

All I've read about it is you want to use a closed-cell foam for that kind of application. Supposed to resist moisture or something? Not sure about the adding strength part though.

Isn't that what they have in the Boston Whalers, to make them "unsinkable"? Used to see an ad with one cut in half floating in the water, with a person in each half... :cheesy: Pretty sure that was Boston Whaler anyway, maybe Cliff/Crusader will comment since he has one..

Crusader

Ya, Boston Whalers are foam filled and unsinkable. The foam in encapsulated in a plastic bag of sorts to prevent water from seeping in. Once water get in there, you either have to live with waterlogged foam or completely replace it which is not an easy task at all.

As for the weight, it weighs next to nothing for where you want to put it.

I don't think it will give you any added strength or support.

73 Sanger Flat

I would not put any spray in foam in there ,use a inner tube or some type of foam for the floatation device . I use the long pipe insulation tubes and stuff them in mine ..

No walking on the top of the boat >>>

Devilman

Mine had it under the floor & was a soaking, sodden mess... :tongue: Didn't put any back when the floor was replaced.

And ya, no walking on mine either unless absolutely necessary & if then only along the edge. Figure it be better there, than across the middle of the deck.

Knotty Girl

I will go with the innertube.  I have to have something if I run in the Deep South Drag Racing Assoc.  Thanks for the info.

Shrek

I took my race boat to Toys R Us and bought the little bouncy balls 10 at a time and shoved them up under the bow.
I trapped them in with a bungy cord net that was on a pick up bed.

I guess it worked...........I never sunk my boat  :smile17:

jdeaton

If you use the innertube, you will need to wrap it with something to protect the rubber from having a hole rubbed in it because of the motion of the boat.  An old piece of canvas tarp works well.

Devilman

Shrek said:
I took my race boat to Toys R Us and bought the little bouncy balls 10 at a time and shoved them up under the bow.

hell yeah... could always pull a few out for a couple rounds of Dodgeball at the sandbar too. :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
Shrek said:

hell yeah... could always pull a few out for a couple rounds of Dodgeball at the sandbar too. :grin:
Sweet! I'm in! :smile16: