Sometimes You GET LUCKY!!

customtouch

The topic has been discussed here before about the best way to strip a boat (chemical vs sanding). There is a third way if all the "stars line up just right" like they did with my boat, and that is using a razor blade to do most of the stripping. In a very limited amount of circumstances the paint will be just old and brittle enough (usually when painted with lacquer) that you can get just under the paint with a blade and break it loose from the surface it is adhering to. It is not very often that this happens but when it does it will save a lot of time and sandpaper. I have about 4-5 hours taking it down to the primer and then with very little sanding I will have it to the original gel. Of course you have to be very carefull with the blade or you can create way more work for yourself than just sandind the paint off.  (P.S.) If anyone wants to buy some slightly used yellow paint, I have a can full of it that I will sell cheap!! LOL!!

Attachments

• DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 219

spd500

Good to see you are getting some work done on the boat  clap.gif

I have done lots of stripping with a razor blade . In areas that are more resistant to the blade a heat gun can help alot .

customtouch

SPD said:
Good to see you are getting some work done on the boat  clap.gif

I have done lots of stripping with a razor blade . In areas that are more resistant to the blade a heat gun can help alot .

Ya!! Not having a running boat is getting REAL old!!!! I am going to try to get it going before summer starts!! Being boat less SUCKS!!!!!

ChryslerJet

Good to hear the stars aligned and that worked for you.  I have done that at times as well.  Like you said you need to be careful and not to gouge the primer or gelcoat.

ChryslerJet said:
Good to hear the stars aligned and that worked for you.  I have done that at times as well.  Like you said you need to be careful and not to gouge the primer or gelcoat.

CJ is there anything you haven't done! Lol lets just start talking about what you haven't done! Lmao.... I'm just kidding with ya brother, I've done it on small gas tanks to bear metal but that's it not like you can tear that up, unlike glass!!

Ps looking good David! clap.gif

customtouch

ChryslerJet said:

Thanks, like the title says "sometimes". The flat parts are pretty easy. It gets a lot trickier on the inside curves and corners like in the third pic. The nooks and crannies can be a bitch!

customtouch

Mike S said:
ChryslerJet said:

CJ is there anything you haven't done! Lol lets just start talking about what you haven't done! Lmao.... I'm just kidding with ya brother, I've done it on small gas tanks to bear metal but that's it not like you can tear that up, unlike glass!!

Thanks Mike. I have lots of extra sand paper if you get bored or can't get the forklift running! LOL!!!

ChryslerJet

Mike S said:
ChryslerJet said:

OK I haven't finished the CJ, besides that hmm not much I haven't done in my life.  Comes with having to build everything I have owned in my life and coming from family that worked with their hands.  Kinda makes me a jack of all trades and master of none.

David if you ever need a hand let me know seems as though I have been spending a lot of time in Austin as of late and may be doing more so come February if everything works out as planned.

Devilman

Mike S said:

I know of one thing that comes to mind.... :wink: lol :grin: :cheesy:

customtouch

ChryslerJet said:
Mike S said:
ChryslerJet said:

OK I haven't finished the CJ, besides that hmm not much I haven't done in my life.  Comes with having to build everything I have owned in my life and coming from family that worked with their hands.  Kinda makes me a jack of all trades and master of none.

David if you ever need a hand let me know seems as though I have been spending a lot of time in Austin as of late and may be doing more so come February if everything works out as planned.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
Mike S said:

:smile30:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
Devilman said:
Mike S said:

Kinda funny I guess.......  Everyone was thinking it.......  :smile17:

ChryslerJet

DISTURBED said:
Patchman said:
Devilman said:
Mike S said:

That's why I said it first
lol
I know crazy but it will get finished
Eventually crazy.gif

spd500

ChryslerJet said:
That's why I said it first
lol
I know crazy but it will get finished
Eventually crazy.gif

HIs grandkids will probably finish it in memory of grandpa after he is gone  :smile30:

Devilman

DISTURBED said:

I figured Spd would be all over it, must be mellowed out for the holidays... :laugh: