Should I swap JE for a JC

Longstr

well I haven't pulled the trigger in this deal yet but I need some outter influence.. Here is the deal Taylor SS going thru a total rebuild, planning on some good horsepower. Has a JE currently while I know those pumps have their limitations i am pretty certain if I can keep it loaded I can see the mid 80s w it...
Next option I found a smoking deal on a JC that i would set back, run a dominator style bowl and of course every bolt on imaginable. I feel that w this pump the over all performance would be better, but would the little gains be worth the added $ and headache installation?

Would would you do?  :smile29:

Devilman

I know this got shot back & forth a bit in your build thread... guess it could be put this way... will you be happy with a mid 80's mph boat? Once that question is answered, the rest will fall into place. :grin:

Me personally, I'd leave the insert pump, but put the split bowl on it to allow the bolt ons & tune from there.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Devilman said:
I know this got shot back & forth a bit in your build thread... guess it could be put this way... will you be happy with a mid 80's mph boat? Once that question is answered, the rest will fall into place. :grin:

Me personally, I'd leave the insert pump, but put the split bowl on it to allow the bolt ons & tune from there.
Sounds like a plan.  :smile16:

Longstr

Devilman said:

Yea I think I will be happy in the 80s because I would be scared to push it past 90 I think it would get unsafe at that speed, due to the hull design.

Carnivalride

Tough decision here but I'm going to guess since you started with a Taylor SS and you didn't add full length stringers you weren't looking to be an all out racer. The next issue is the bottom design of the Taylor, I'm not sure about the SS but the SJ model with a better pump and some mods can get really scary in the 90mph range. Not being a jet guy I don't know what changes you'd have to do to make it safe. Maybe stick with bolt ons and easy stuff for this one and keep it as a family cruiser and maybe switch to a different hull later if you want to go faster.

Longstr

The SS and the SJ share the same bottom, for now I will stick with the insert pump always a winter modification I can do in the future.

blazeracer

An insert pump will do all you want that Taylor to do. If you wanna go real fast, get a faster hull first. Plus, it's a royal PITA making that switch. I had an E pump in my Glastron with all the goodies and it worked well. The only real difference is the ramp angle on the suction side. An SS loader does wonders for an E pump. IMO, the best mod you can make on one.

Put a good loader on it and an inducer with a split bowl and a droop, it'll run. Hardin makes the best SS loader for an E pump. Best deal I've found on it is from CP. Duane at Hi-Tech sell the same loader repackaged.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13254-ss-super-sport-loader-scoop-for-je-jf-pumps.aspx