Short Bus Make Over

sturat

Well you all know how it goes. One thing needs repaired and it snow balls into a major restore... lol

I will post pics of my resto job, well i can not say mine per say as Mike is helping me along the way.

Started out with a hull repair, so i figured well since i have to pull the motor might as well pull the pump and have it powder coated candy blue. then yesterday i go home to pick up the boat to take it to the glass shop i see that the tank boiled over and ate a nice section of paint off the side of her. Looking at this i see that whomever painted over the gel did not prep it for squat so here we go to phase three. Going to repaint all the blue on the boat. With alot of help from Mike. All the yellow is original gel and in great shape so it will stay as is. I have chosen House of Kolor oriental blue over a silver base.
Hope to be back on the water soon.. I have a ton of sanding and prep work ahead of me but ready to get it going. Dang boat will not look anything like she does now.

Knotty Girl

Get rid of those flip top caps.  They did the same thing to my boat.  I replaced them with screw on type "Problem Solved"

sturat

Knotty Girl said:
Get rid of those flip top caps.  They did the same thing to my boat.  I replaced them with screw on type "Problem Solved"

First time i have ever seen that happen.. I walked outside and was like WTF is going on!!!

Knotty Girl

Mine did it parked under a cover.  I just do not like them, eventually they will do it.  The screw on type are flush with the hull, look better and you do not hang stuff on them getting in and out of the boat.  I paid $11.00 each.  Just my .02

sturat

Knotty Girl said:
Mine did it parked under a cover.  I just do not like them, eventually they will do it.  The screw on type are flush with the hull, look better and you do not hang stuff on them getting in and out of the boat.  I paid $11.00 each.  Just my .02

Might just have to look into a set.. thanks for the info KG

Devilman

Copy that on the snowball effect, been there... Looking forward to the progress pics.

When my tank is real full, if it gets hot enough outside it will puke some fuel out the vent. It hasn't ever tore up the paint though thankfully.

sturat

scarabscs said:
Im sure its going to look kick A$$ when you get done with it!  Keep us updated with pics!!

Sure hope so... It will be my first stab at it but I have a pro helping me along the way. WE all know how nice Mikes boats turn out so I am in good hands for sure.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
sturat said:
scarabscs said:
Im sure its going to look kick A$$ when you get done with it!  Keep us updated with pics!!

Sure hope so... It will be my first stab at it but I have a pro helping me along the way. WE all know how nice Mikes boats turn out so I am in good hands for sure.
Mike's boats turn out with a BBO in them. You better keep a close eye on him! think.gif :smile30:

sturat

Devilman said:
Copy that on the snowball effect, been there... Looking forward to the progress pics.

No $hit hey lets fix the crack, heck while we are at it, put full stringers in it, heck pull the pump and make it purdy, heck lets repaint the dang thing.. $hit an it anit done yet.. LOL

blazeracer

I have screw a screw on type cap on my tank. No problems there but my tank also has a vent. I leaks gas quite often when I fill up, but doesn't seem to effect hardened paint. Using car paint with a hardener will alleviate that problem also.

Snowball effect? I needed to change the dizzy and polish the old paint on my boat, and look what happened!! Well worth it though.

Devilman

sturat said:
No $hit hey lets fix the crack, heck while we are at it, put full stringers in it, heck pull the pump and make it purdy, heck lets repaint the dang thing.. $hit an it anit done yet.. LOL

Yep, & mine wasn't even a full-blown restore, just floor, transom, & seats... :grin: But yeah, that conversation is all too familiar: "Well, ya know, since you got it this far apart, it only makes sense to bla, bla, bla...."  :cheesy:

That shit'll put a hurtin on a checkbook everytime. :cry: :cheesy: :grin: Always worth it when its done though. :wink:

blazeracer

Then shit that was broke before and un-noticable starts turning up....

I just got my interior back in, then had to change the steering cable. So back out came the side panels on the right and the back seat. Whole new rack and pinion arrived yesterday.

sturat

blazeracer said:
Then shit that was broke before and un-noticable starts turning up....

I just got my interior back in, then had to change the steering cable. So back out came the side panels on the right and the back seat. Whole new rack and pinion arrived yesterday.
AMEN X1000

F
blazeracer said:
I have screw a screw on type cap on my tank. No problems there but my tank also has a vent. I leaks gas quite often when I fill up, but doesn't seem to effect hardened paint. Using car paint with a hardener will alleviate that problem also.

Snowball effect? I needed to change the dizzy and polish the old paint on my boat, and look what happened!! Well worth it though.

Hell on all my boat I painted I put a good clear on it and spelt race gas and pump gas on it and ha't havent had a problem yet but I do clean it right away!

sturat

HellinnFrnt said:
I'll send mine down to Mike to get painted and let him put an Olds in it !  :smile30:
Just cause it is a GM (aka goverment motors) engine dont think it will happen.. He is having a hard enough time knowing that a Ford is going to push it along..

Patchman said:
sturat said:
scarabscs said:

Mike's boats turn out with a BBO in them. You better keep a close eye on him! think.gif :smile30:

I have a few bbc but that might piss a few more people off when stu go's oround them! Lol!  jump.gif but that ford had got plenty power

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it does just fine with the BBF. Don't listen to them Bro stay focused on the task at hand. Just keep an eye on your brother, he loves them Oldsmobobbles. :smile30: