Seat/Upholstery care? What stuff?

shimp

What's good stuff to put on your vinyl seats to protect them and keep them soft?  Anything in particular?  Not sure about Armor All, it seems to make stuff last not as long and makes some stuff get chalky over time....

KONA77

shimp said:
What's good stuff to put on your vinyl seats to protect them and keep them soft?  Anything in particular?  Not sure about Armor All, it seems to make stuff last not as long and makes some stuff get chalky over time....

imo...  stay away from armorall...  i would say go to the auto parts or walmart,  and look for some good vinyl/leather conditioner and protectant...

shimp

I got some Turtle Wax ICE, we will see how it works, supposed to clean and condition, but not a harsh cleaner.  Supposed to protect against UV too.

KONA77

shimp said:
I got some Turtle Wax ICE, we will see how it works, supposed to clean and condition, but not a harsh cleaner.  Supposed to protect against UV too.

sounds like a start  clap.gif

shimp said:

I use the mcguires vinyl and leather conditioner

sorry i ment Meguiar's

shimp

Mike S said:
shimp said:

I use the mcguires vinyl and leather conditioner

sorry i ment Meguiar's

Thanks for the tip, I may pick some of that up and see how it does too.

The ICE stuff seems to work pretty good, the seats were softer after just 1 application.  While cleaning it up on Sunday (after being at Somerville Sat) I did it again, and waxed the whole boat.  Will see how it progresses.  Stuff was like $6.50 bottle, not too bad, will do several applications, probably 10 or so.  Made the seats shine a little too, I noticed the round trim stuff around the seats edges looked better too.  Hoping I can get at least 1-2 years out of this boat/interior, I have no idea how old it is already...

shimp

blazeracer said:
Some good info..

http://www.lakesidecanvas.com/upholstery_care.html

That is interesting.  I think it says it will work for Marine too. (the ICE) but anyway, I can get the StarBrite stuff locally at Outdoor World/Bass pro shops at the mall, 20 mins away.  Will pick some up next time I go that direction and then give it a try since it's "for Marine" I would think that would be better than Armor All or ICE, but then again, you never know people (and companies) will say anything to sell a specific product or type of product.  Like the HDtoHD Chevy vs Dodge vs Ford deal on Chevy.com website...  While I am a Chevy man, I agree with the masses, I'd believe pickuptruck.com before I would believe a test paid for by Chevy....  I'll stick with my 2004 model Silverado, thank you.

shimp

I have a cover for my boat, just need to see if it fits, it was for an older boat I had and I think it would work up to 20' boats, but I also keep the boat inside when not at the lake, it's in a barn, but no UVA/UVB getting to it while it's not in use, so surely that will help more than anything.  Thanks again guys for the info.

horsepower junkie

Like Tint said garage kept and central AC is best but I also use Vinyl sauce on my interior and Hot sauce on the rest of my boat. Both products are from Boat Bling and they are the shitz. Call David @ 505-0793-3466 he is a rep for them :smile17:

blazeracer

shimp said:

Talked to the upholstry shop that did my NEW interior cause I need it to last... They said Armor All or any of the automotive protectants you can find at Walmart or Orielly's are butyl (alcohol) based solutions that will dry the vinyl and threads during evaporation significantly shortening their life. Marine protectants like Vinyl Sauce and Starbright are non butyl based and won't cause evaporation damage.

Another product that is non butyl based is Black Box out of Norman, OK.

www.blackboxleather.com

I met one of the guys from this company the other day in the line of duty at work. His g/f bought a fridge from us. He's a big drag boat guy and his company sets up a booth at the SDBA events and is a sponsor for the Captain Jack drag boat. I've never used the stuff, not saying it's good or bad, but the product is endorsed by Harley Davidson for use on their motorcycles. Most of the products are for leather, but they do have a line marine vinyl stuff also.

Magic Eraser is a GREAT cleaner, but you have to apply a protectant after use.

shimp

Sounds like the blackbox marine grade vinyl renu is what I need to put on my seats, they are old....  The Boatbling Hot Sauce and some of the other stuff they offer sounds like good stuff.  Will see about getting some of those things and trying them out.  Again thanks to all for the info.

shimp

One thing I thought I'd mention, that I have found from boating for 10 years + is that for a Cleaner, BEFORE you wax your boat, I use Simple Green.  It must be so strong that it takes the top layer of oxidation, etc off the paint.  Because after you spray your boat down with Simple Green, and scrub a little, just a little, then rinse it off, it looks "new" again.  Ready for waxing... 

Also I had hell on my last boat getting the 2smoke oil and smoke residue off the transom using regular cleaners of any kind, with Simple Green it wipes right off, couldn't believe how well it worked on the transom...  You can buy Simple Green by the gallon at Sams and some hardware stores for $10 and under.  Not sure about using it on interior, it may have to be diluted for that, but on paint, clear coat or otherwise, it works great, I just wouldn't recommend doing it that often, as it does remove the top layer of paint/oxidation each time, so just use it before you wax, if you wax say, twice a year or so... It will remove the wax too, so if you use it, you will have to wax again, but it cleans very well.