Rudder stuff box & top bushing

MikeV-Drive

I'm took the boat out this past weekend and it started acting stupid and I noticed the rudder had a lot of slop in it, so upon getting home and taking it apart the top bushing and lower rudder stuff box was pretty wore out so now I'm trying to find the parts to get it back together for Sun. on the river only place to get them that I can find is Eddie Maine but it will take a week, can anyone help are do I just need to wait a week Oh! and it is a 1" rudder

73 Sanger Flat

Call JJ Beaverfab  first  at 972-438-2277 and if he does not have one I would  try Glenwood Marine . http://www.glenwoodmarine.net/

Look like Duane has one also ..

MikeV-Drive

Duane how far are you from LaPorte and how much do you want for it & do you have 1 of the top plastic bushings not sure what they call the top one!

spd500

Might be able to check and see when Randall is coming back through town , I know he was headed South last night . If he is coming through any time soon he might be able to bring the parts from Duanne to you  if you can work out the details .

spd500

What are the current trucking rates from Victoria to Laporte running ? 12 pack of Dr Pepper and $100 fuel surcharge  ?  :smile12:

3boatpaul

as a side note on stuffing box , if and when you replace it , also mike the diameter of you'r rudder post ,
  when i replaced my stuffing box i was suprised how much wear had occured . but it had 25 year's of
  abuse put to it.  :rolleyes:

MikeV-Drive

What did you do with yours replace the rudder? mine is the $775 Competition steel speed rudder and was hoping I would not have to spend that much right know with it not being cold yet LOL! anyhow  I check on that and it has a little wear it is 1.000 but when I put the digital caliper on it, It was .990-.991 so is there a remedy or replace it.

3boatpaul

Mike said:
What did you do with yours replace the rudder? mine is the $775 Competition steel speed rudder and was hoping I would not have to spend that much right know with it not being cold yet LOL! anyhow  I check on that and it has a little wear it is 1.000 but when I put the digital caliper on it, It was .990-.991 so is there a remedy or replace it.
you'r wear on rudder shaft is negiligible  , like duane said new box . mine was worn on the side's and the stuffing box was just flat worn out . BUT my old flat started out in cal. as a circle race boat before being
turned in to a drag boat in the 80's and early 90's . and i kind of like  to go putt  putting along and just make a quick left turn and as i turn JUST GAS THE HELL OUT OF it  what a rush , but hard on the rudder assy.  GOOD LUCK and have some fun .  :smiley:

73 Sanger Flat

I bought my new ruder from Dan Aeseth last summer . got it in a couple of days ..

Here is his ad ..

Sorry so big

Sellers Name: Dan Aaseth
Phone Number(s):
(661)510-6362
  Ad Placed on Sep 01, 2009 // Last Updated on Sep 01, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOAT INSTALLATION HARDWARE:
Fiberglass Seats NEW Original 2 Rib Design White or Black Gelcoat std size 18 1/2" wide $85 ea...wide boy size 20 1/2" wide $110 ea, Carbon Fiber Seats NEW hand laid $275 ea, Fiberglass Air Scoops Tall Formula 5000 Look NEW Seam filled, primed, ready for Paint $135, Upholstered Velcro Scoop Intake Covers $15, Billet Aluminum Seat Mounting Brackets (stringer mount) NEW $35 pair, Billet Aluminum V-Drive Plate Brace Recievers for Hiem Joint Braces NEW (nice window milled and angle cut pieces) $120 pair, S.S. Hiem Rod Ends $26ea, Alloy Hiem Rod Ends $7.50ea, Billet Aluminum V-Drive Plate Brackets NEW T style and radiused (no holes) $40 pair, Billet Aluminum Engine Mounting Rail kits NEW 75" long with 10 Stringer Washers $95, Billet Aluminum Motor Plates NEW 3/8" 6061 T-6 Our pattern or copy yours $350 set, Billet Aluminum Machined 2" wide Motor Plate Feet set of 4 machine finish $85 or polished $95, Stringer Washers Billet NEW Machined Finish .60ea, Anodized Colors (Red, Black, Blue, Purple and Gold) $1.20 ea, Billet Aluminum Flatbottom Fins New $75, Flatbottom Rudders 100% Chromoly 1" shaft NEW Our own Canyon style River Race to Top Alcohol $450, Chromoly Chrome Wedge Rudder 1 1/8" shaft 12" tall NEW $450, Chrome Rudder Stuffing Boxes $85, Double Seal Chrome Rudder Stuffing Boxes $90, Billet Aluminum Rudder Braces NEW $40 ea, Rudder Shaft Collars $10 ea, Propshaft Safety Collars 1" & 1 1/8" Chrome 2 piece NEW $20 ea, Down Pedal Control Rod Clevis Ends NEW $20, Billet Polished Control Arms $80, Billet Polished Transom Cavitation Shaft Bearings $39 each, Cav Plate Polished Reciever Pads Bushed Billet NEW $37.50ea, S. S. Polished Eyelevers 1 1/2" to 2 1/4" $20 each, Turn buckle Centers 1/2" dia Aluminum 5" and 6" long NEW $12 ea, Starter Switches Heavy Duty Foot Buttons $25 ea, Strut Bushings 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" $20
Ask for pictures of anything listed

MikeV-Drive

3boatpaul said:
Mike said:
you'r wear on rudder shaft is negiligible  , like duane said new box . mine was worn on the side's and the stuffing box was just flat worn out . BUT my old flat started out in cal. as a circle race boat before being
turned in to a drag boat in the 80's and early 90's . and i kind of like  to go putt  putting along and just make a quick left turn and as i turn JUST GAS THE HELL OUT OF it  what a rush , but hard on the rudder assy.  GOOD LUCK and have some fun .  :smiley:
Also my box has 3 bolts in it, most of the new ones have 4, mine must be the original one are just old but can you still get the 3 bolt ones are do you just have fix the bottom of the boat or duane is yours the 3 bolt are 4

MikeV-Drive

Ok Guy's talk to JJ and he said I need to replace every thing if the boat ran 50 he thinks it would be ok but at 90+ now way Rudder, Rudder stuffing box, Etc. Sooo I guess that's the next project. Thanks for all yall's help and if you guys now were I can get some good price let me know thanks again!

jimsplace

Here is a suggestion.  I did it with mine.  It will depend on how much wear there actually is.

Since you have 3 bolts holding the rudder box in place, this may or may not work.  If the 3 bolts are in a perfect triangle, rotate the rudder box 1/3 turn.  The wear pattern will probably not be a complete circle but more on one side or the other, probably front to back.

Next, if you have a steel rudder, it probably has rust pits in it, along with some wear.  On the rudder shaft only, spray several thin coats of speed coat on the shaft.  Speed Coat is powder graphite in an epoxy base that can be sprayed evenly.  Let it dry several days before putting it back in the rudder box.  Epoxy takes up to a week to fully cure, so give it at least 48 hours, even though it feels dry.

If the rudder feels tight when it is put in the rudder box, it can be lightly buffed with Scotch Bright to smooth it down.

Be sure and replace the rubber seal.  The rubber seal should be the type used for hydraulic pressure and not for a rotary shaft.  The seal used in the prop shaft and the rudder are two different seals.