Rescue at Somerville!

jdeaton

Has anyone seen this Hondo since this incident on Somerville?  As I recall the guy was from San Antonio, and this was his first fast boat.

Devilman

Trigger said:
When was this? That boat was for sale last year and was in several Hondo catalogs and publications.

year before last if I recall correctly. Man that was a clusterfukk, but it was worth it to help that dude get his boat back on the trailer. Sure felt bad for him, beautiful boat.

Trigger

Devilman said:
Trigger said:
When was this? That boat was for sale last year and was in several Hondo catalogs and publications.

year before last if I recall correctly. Man that was a clusterfukk, but it was worth it to help that dude get his boat back on the trailer. Sure felt bad for him, beautiful boat.

No doubt! I wonder if he sunk it right after he bought it or sold it right after he sunk it. He didn't crash it did he? I didn't see any damage but looks like the scoop was torn off. Probably just removed.

Devilman

Trigger said:
No doubt! I wonder if he sunk it right after he bought it or sold it right after he sunk it. He didn't crash it did he? I didn't see any damage but looks like the scoop was torn off.

Was his first or second time out with the boat from what the guy was telling us. It was windy & the water was rough as hell, he was heading in to load it & was swamped while coming in to shore. We/they took the scoop off so it wouldn't get damaged as they were lifting the back of the boat with that pontoon boat there in the pics...

Did our best not to drag it along the bottom so as not to damage any of the underwater gear. The pontoon acted as a lift somewhat & we basically carried the boat along in short spells. Not really carry it, more of "lift, inch forward, drop & repeat" over & over again, lol...

Trigger

Devilman said:
Trigger said:
No doubt! I wonder if he sunk it right after he bought it or sold it right after he sunk it. He didn't crash it did he? I didn't see any damage but looks like the scoop was torn off.

Was his first or second time out with the boat from what the guy was telling us. It was windy & the water was rough as hell, he was heading in to load it & was swamped while coming in to shore. We/they took the scoop off so it wouldn't get damaged as they were lifting the back of the boat with that pontoon boat there in the pics...

Ahh, gotcha. That really sucks!!!!! I think that is the same ramp where I met Henry for the first time. I do NOT like that ramp at all!!!! Waaay too steep for short freeboard boats to use, especially being so exposed to the open lake. Gotta admit I was pretty nervous when we unloaded mine there. Only took a couple gallons over the transom to get it launched. Never again for me

Devilman

Trigger said:
Ahh, gotcha. That really sucks!!!!! I think that is the same ramp where I met Henry for the first time. I do NOT like that ramp at all!!!! Waaay too steep for short freeboard boats to use, especially being so exposed to the open lake. Gotta admit I was pretty nervous when we unloaded mine there. Only took a couple gallons over the transom to get it launched. Never again for me

There is lots of big rocks right off the end of the ramp too, that was fokkin hell tryin to manuever that thing around once we got to that point. I do remember his rudder was snapped off, not sure exactly when that occured, but would guess it was after we got off the soft bottom. Looky loos were coming in close & making waves so it was bouncing up & down off the bottom. :rolleyes:

The owner is in the last pic, dude withe cap & braided ponytail, his friend is the guy in the yellow shirt.

And ya, that was the Hondo brochure boat like you mentioned, supposedly spent most of its life in climate controlled storage when not in use. And then that happened to it, sucks. Never heard much about it afterwards though, so not sure what happened with it after he left that day.

jdeaton

The ramp had nothing to do with the boat going down.  We had a summer squall blow through in the afternoon.  He and his lady friend were parked out in the cove, and decided to make the shore.  As he pulled up and shut the engine off, the waves the storm kicked up, sent the boat to the bottom.  Had he turned the Bow into the storm, as most of us do, he would have been OK.  You are right that boat had been in many Hot Boat and Hot Rod Magazines, and is a very important part of our Sport.

Devilman

KONA said:
correction 2011,  your right,  I was coming back in to correct myself...  thankyou

Coming back, shoulda just stayed to enjoy the festivities & fellowship. :grin:

Trigger

What an unfortunate way to get in to performance boating!!! I hope he has just been at home drying everything out and we get to see it again soon.

pro53

The other guy that was there with the Sanger Hydro. Was at the Lonestar Round up carshow last year, was talking with him, asked how his buddy was doing. He said the fixed the boat again, unloaded on the boat ramp, and sunk again. Boat has now been under twice. Apparently they forgot to put the propshaft bushing or seal back in, down she went. I dont know if he still has it now.

Trigger

Wow!!!! They obviously didn't check for leaks before they got it off the trailer. That must be either really bad luck or a huge blessing in disguise. A blown hydro is a pretty big first step into drag boats.

Knotty Girl

Easy to bite off more than you can chew with these things.  Yes from experience.  I see so many people taking unsafe risk with performance boats.  I am surprised more people do not get hurt or killed.  I am amazed when I hear people brag about how much experience they have and how good of a boater they are, then go out there and do something totally stupid.  Yes I did get hurt and even though I was being careful. Stuff can happen really quick in a boat and it does not even have to be traveling that fast.  OK I'm off my soap box now.

Trigger

Knotty said:
Easy to bite off more than you can chew with these things.  Yes from experience.  I see so many people taking unsafe risk with performance boats.  I am surprised more people do not get hurt or killed.  I am amazed when I hear people brag about how much experience they have and how good of a boater they are, then go out there and do something totally stupid.  Yes I did get hurt and even though I was being careful. Stuff can happen really quick in a boat and it does not even have to be traveling that fast.  OK I'm off my soap box now.

Agreed!