Question about Olds freeze plugs

Texgo

I cranked my motor up on a stand a few weeks ago and one of my freeze plugs (steel) in the heads is leaking.  Anybody know what size they are?  I can find all kinds of info about the block plugs that I have already replaced with brass.  Thanks.

Becket

Texgo said:
I cranked my motor up on a stand a few weeks ago and one of my freeze plugs (steel) in the heads is leaking.  Anybody know what size they are?  I can find all kinds of info about the block plugs that I have already replaced with brass.  Thanks.
What Engine is it?

:smile21:

Devilman

How many freeze plugs are in the heads and are they all the same?

Reason I ask, is because I haven't been able to find much regarding the dimensions, but did run across an Ebay seller that sells freeze plug kits for various engines & he does list the dimensions of the different plugs in the kit, just not which ones go where. Maybe you can narrow it down from there? Or possibly even contact the guy an ask.

Taken from the ebay ad:

Kit Contents:

(6) 1 1/2" brass cup style freeze plugs
(1) 29/32" brass cup style freeze plugs
(1) 15/16" steel cup style freeze plugs
(1) 19/32" steel cup style freeze plugs
(1) 2 3/32" steel cup style frost plugs
(2) 3/8" NPT steel pipe plugs

Link to the ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Freeze-Plugs-Oldsmobile-260-307-330-350-400-403-425-455-Frost-Kit-/321019146471

Contact info for the seller: Classic Engine Supply Phone: 515-961-7292 The best time to call is weekdays between 8:00AM-11:00AM Central Time.

If I find anything else I'll sure post it up for you. :cool:

Becket

Drive one out and Take it to a COMPETENT Shop, any Mechanic can Measure it and tell you what Size you need, IF you have a good auto parts store around you that still has those "Old fashion" Book thingys, they can most likely order what you need in Brass.

Flunk-O-zone and the Likes won't be of any help, if the Ex- McDonald's Manager behind the Counter can't find it in the Confuser......it never existed  :smile29:

Devilman

Gas-Hole said:
Drive one out and Take it to a COMPETENT Shop, any Mechanic can Measure it and tell you what Size you need, IF you have a good auto parts store around you that still has those "Old fashion" Book thingys, they can most likely order what you need in Brass.

Flunk-O-zone and the Likes won't be of any help, if the Ex- McDonald's Manager behind the Counter can't find it in the Confuser......it never existed  :smile29:

hahaha, that there is the truth. Been there & had a couple of those type discussions in the past. :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Gas-Hole said:

Word! Getting harder and harder to get the right parts. Hell even Napa is dropping the ball every now and then on me! :smile15:

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
Gas-Hole said:

Word! Getting harder and harder to get the right parts. Hell even Napa is dropping the ball every now and then on me! :smile15:
Advance at least lest me go in the back to look through the drawers of orings, pins, plugs, and other things to find what I need.  Oreillys used to do that to not no more and forget Autozone if it is not in a package on the shelf they don't got it.

Dry Dock

click on link and scroll down to page 82 for 455 Olds Plugs

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/ExpansionPlugApps.pdf

1 1/4 x4 of them........... Dorman part number there also.  give number to any parts store and they can interchange to their brand.

Texgo

Dry Dock said:
click on link and scroll down to page 82 for 455 Olds Plugs

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/ExpansionPlugApps.pdf

1 1/4 x4 of them........... Dorman part number there also.  give number to any parts store and they can interchange to their brand.

Wow, just what I needed.  Thanks