Pump Noise

Distant Thunder

I'm getting ready to pull the pump apart to replace the bowl gasket and was wondering if any of you had heard of this problem. At idle (700-800 rpm), my pump has a tendency to "rattle". It almost sounds like a squeeling noise. I had my pump rebuilt while I restored my boat by a guy in Lewisville. I can't remember his name, but he was referred to me by a friend who has been jetboating since 1974. The guy seemed very knowledgable and familiar with jet pumps. He even pointed out that I had a hardened race shaft in my Dominator. I felt pretty secure using him considering all of the high dollar, multi-engine "Don Johnson" style boats in his yard awaiting repairs. Problem is, after reinstalling, the pump still makes noise at idle. This occurred before when my friend had the boat as well. I don't know if any of you have experienced this before, but any info would sure help while I have this thing apart. Is there something to look for? Is it clearance from the impellar to the wear ring? Is it a Dominator thing? Any advice would sure help. Thanks.

KONA77

I have had some noise in the pump like that....what i have discovered i the bearing needs grease.
i grease the bearing with the engine running on the trailer.

Distant Thunder

I had new bearings installed with the pump rebuild and greased it before running. But, I've never greased it while running. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. Anybody else seen this?

duanehydro

Mine rattled at idle as well....the older style dominator w/open water fed bushing...I disassembled it, checked everything, and put it back together.....that pump lasted for ever, and is still running.
10376resto_013-med.jpg

Distant Thunder

After you disassembled it, did you do anything to it. Did you have to replace a seal or something like that? Did it still rattle after putting it back together. I'm just trying to find out now since my boat's a Southwind tunnel and it's a b!#ch to get to everything and then seal it back up again. Thanks so much for your info so far!

sdba069

That was probably Earl McCoy in Lewisville, EJ Enterprises. It's not unusual to have a pump rattle at low speed. It could be nothing to worry about at all. It could also be from U-joints, thrust bearing, worn splines on the pump shaft or driveline,  a wear ring/impeller issue, or faulty bowl bushings. First thing is to make sure everything is lubed up properly and you can easily, in most cases check for slack or wear in the driveline by simply trying to move it around. That may be a little tough with a 3 point mount without hanging the motor and pulling the bellhousing.

Distant Thunder

Thanks sdba069, a good friend of mine told me the same thing. Since my boat's a tunnel, it has a 18-24" driveshaft and he told me it was not unusual for them to rattle. As far as Earl is concerned, did you hear that he is going out of business? Someone told me that he rolled a tractor over himself and suffered a brain aneurysm. He is only staying open long enough to complete working on the boats in his yard and then calling it quits. Don't know this to be true, but if so, I sure hate to hear it because he was a really nice guy and very knowlegable.
Thanks again for your input,
Russell

badblood

The rattle you are talking about only happens at idle? If so it is normal for them to make some noise. You get some wear on the yoke and the input shaft, but as soon as you put a load on it there is no more noise. If it bothers you it may be resolved with a new yoke.