Prop Clearance

73 Sanger Flat

I am going to move my prop forward this winter with JJ Beavers  help .. Hoping to get the boat loosen up and aired out some .. My questions is how much clearance do you need from the tip of the prop to the bottom of the hull ? I have about 5/8 to 3/4 inch clearance right now .. I want to push the prop up about an inch under the boat .. So I am thinking , I know that is bad most of the time . If I push the prop up toward the front of the boat I will lose about an 1/8 if an inch clearance , making my new clearance about 1/2 inch . I don't think this will be any problem , but just wanted to see what everyone else has for clearance ...I have to cut my strut some to keep the clearance good  for shortening the prop shaft .. Hell it winter time and we need something to talk about on here ..

Disturbed

You're going to move the prop forward an inch?  :smile26: :smile26: :smile26: :smile26:

If I can't make it out to watch, please get someone to take a video!  clap.gif

I'll measure my prop clearance this evening when I get home.  If I don't forget.  crazy.gif

Where is your prop in relation to the transom?  Do you have any idea where every other Cole's prop is located?  Just thinking out-loud. 

73 Sanger Flat

It will be OK Tim .. My boat just wont air out like it should .. Need some extra lift .. I have my plates up higher than most and still wont air out .. Yes I have all the measurement at home .. I have check on two other Cole's boats and I am pretty close to their numbers . The prop I have now is only 10 3/4 inch and I think it may not be creating enough lift ..

If i remember today when I get home to get the  Prop to Cavitation plate number .. Strut to cavitation plate  is 26 3/4 inch ..

When you going to switch over to 1 1/8 stuff so I can try your prop ??

Never know I might not even touch it , it is pretty safe where it is at now .. It never gets crazy on the top end the way it is now ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
We need lots of videos of your boat running! Let's make a good assessment here! ( As if I have any clue as to what to do) :smile30:

73 Sanger Flat

Patchman said:
We need lots of videos of your boat running! Let's make a good assessment here! ( As if I have any clue as to what to do) :smile30:

I need lots of Video of my boat running also .. Never able to get any good videos when i am out playing .. I just know for the HP I have , this boat should be going faster .. I keep throwing more HP to it and the MPH has not increased over the years like it should .. I know it will not be quick because I am using torque instead of Horsepower and using 32 gears .. It is a lake boat, but I alway trying to squeeze a little more out of it ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to me, that if you keep increasing torque, that it would really help your low end. Your torque curve will fall off at top end where your boat needs HP to mile per hour. So maybe you could make up for the lack of top end with a gear or prop change. Then again, I'm sure your combination will be good for a certain top speed that may be or may not be what you expect. I felt like your boat has always ran respectable. What are you looking for out of your combination? Do you get on the up- pedal? That's how all them v-drive guys go fast! At least that's what I'm told by those Trailer Queen guys! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

73 Sanger Flat

Patchman said:
It seems to me, that if you keep increasing torque, that it would really help your low end. Your torque curve will fall off at top end where your boat needs HP to mile per hour. So maybe you could make up for the lack of top end with a gear or prop change. Then again, I'm sure your combination will be good for a certain top speed that may be or may not be what you expect. I felt like your boat has always ran respectable. What are you looking for out of your combination? Do you get on the up- pedal? That's how all them v-drive guys go fast! At least that's what I'm told by those Trailer Queen guys! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Love it -- Trailer Queen Guys -- I am glad I don't fit into that group ..Most V-Drive guys tell me I can't pull 32's gears with my natural aspirated pump gas engine .. But I can flash the prop to 6500 , pulls down to about 5800 and then tops out about 6900 RPM .. We went from a 22 gear to a 32 because of all the torque this engine makes that that help the top in speed . I know I need to learn to get on the up pedal to lock it out, that is all it does , I can feel the down pedal pulsation under my foot and that means it trying to suck down .. So maybe I should adjust my pedals so I feel more comfortable switching from the down pedal to the up pedal .. I just like to have quick access to the down pedal to get me out of trouble ..  Right now my prop  slip factor is about 18-19% too much .. I need it down to about 16% or less to get the best out of it .. The boat runs respectable just like it is , I just like to tweak on it and get it the take a better set and air out and get that damm rooster tail down some more ..  Prop is 22 1/8 inch from tip to back of cavitation plate .. Strut 26 3/4 inch to back of cavitation plate

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you get JJ out there with you, You are in good hands. He has helped us out tremendously, and I don't think he is done yet! :evil:
Just a strange thought, and the car guy is coming out in me! But if your combination was setup to top out in a specific distance, and you are running on an un-marked course. Maybe your boat is good for 1,000 foot, and your running it out 1320 not happy with how it feels. That is where track time and equipment is so helpful. Kind of like driving around in an 1/8 mile car. It's a pig on the freeway, but gets the job done on the track. Just thinking out loud here. I have seen you tweeking on that boat since I joined on here. So I'm wondering if your chasing the proverbial carrot! :smile14:

At any rate, tweek on. There may be allot left in your combination and then again there may not be. If tuning is your thing than tune on man. I do enjoy reading your findings, it helps me gather data on those V-drive boats! My closest V-drive buddy doesn't splash his anymore for me to gather good data on! :smile14:

73 Sanger Flat

Dam Tim . sound like Patch just threw you under the bus.. Tim you need to help me represent for the V-Drives and get that boat on the water .. It ran good just like it was .. So hurry up with the new engine or get it back in the water like it is ..

Patch - you may be right .. I may be just chasing my tail on this boat  , but like I said , it is winter time and we need something to talk about ..
I still think my boat is not set up right .. Might be  my 275lbs keeping it from running right .. Need me a 150 lbs person to take it for a run for me and see what it does .. It could just be the balance of the boat is off .. I dont really care for tweaking on it a lot . I prefer to just get out and have fun in it and enjoy the river ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Dam Tim . sound like Patch just threw you under the bus.. Tim you need to help me represent for the V-Drives and get that boat on the water .. It ran good just like it was .. So hurry up with the new engine or get it back in the water like it is ..

Patch - you may be right .. I may be just chasing my tail on this boat  , but like I said , it is winter time and we need something to talk about ..
I still think my boat is not set up right .. Might be  my 275lbs keeping it from running right .. Need me a 150 lbs person to take it for a run for me and see what it does .. It could just be the balance of the boat is off .. I dont really care for tweaking on it a lot . I prefer to just get out and have fun in it and enjoy the river ..
I wasn't going to go down the 275lb route, but that as well could have an effect I suppose. Your boat has always ran great. Plus you are right! We need something to talk about. I hate cold weather and I miss talking boats with my friends! I was looking forward to running my boat one last time up there for the Poker run, but this weather had different plans. So now they are all put up and winterized!

Question/ How do you tell when a flat bottom is running correctly? As in visual markers. Should you see a skeg, or amount of spray out the back? We need good picks here on this subject! think.gif :smile21:

73 Sanger Flat

I like to see part of the skeg showing, maybe half of it  and then spray off the side of the boat should be almost to the back of the boat is what I think it should be . But I do not know very much ..

Yep my added weight to the front of the boat could be part of my problem.. LOL .. I am just trying to keep it from flying to high .. LOL

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we need some good pics or vids of your boat! Tony's boat was hauling the mail for sure! clap.gif clap.gif

Disturbed

Patchman said:
Well if you get JJ out there with you, You are in good hands. He has helped us out tremendously, and I don't think he is done yet! :evil:
Just a strange thought, and the car guy is coming out in me! But if your combination was setup to top out in a specific distance, and you are running on an un-marked course. Maybe your boat is good for 1,000 foot, and your running it out 1320 not happy with how it feels. That is where track time and equipment is so helpful. Kind of like driving around in an 1/8 mile car. It's a pig on the freeway, but gets the job done on the track. Just thinking out loud here. I have seen you tweeking on that boat since I joined on here. So I'm wondering if your chasing the proverbial carrot! :smile14:

At any rate, tweek on. There may be allot left in your combination and then again there may not be. If tuning is your thing than tune on man. I do enjoy reading your findings, it helps me gather data on those V-drive boats! My closest V-drive buddy doesn't splash his anymore for me to gather good data on! :smile14:

I’ve been playing with a lot of vdrive this past summer!  They just happen to be hydros.  🤣🏁
My hydro knowledge has grown by leaps and bounds from where it started. 

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
crazy.gif That doesn't help us gain flat bottom data! Anyone can drive a training wheels boat! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
crazy.gif That doesn't help us gain flat bottom data! Anyone can drive a training wheels boat! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

BWAHAHAHAHA!

BTW, when are you going to fix Henry's log in?  Make it an easy password like, "IgotRammed" LOL 

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
DISTURBED said:
Patchman said:

BWAHAHAHAHA!

BTW, when are you going to fix Henry's log in?  Make it an easy password like, "IgotRammed" LOL
Dude, that's probably not funny, but made me laugh! :evil: :smile14: :smile23:

We are trying top figure out a problem with the site. It has been a pita for sure. Think I am almost on the verge of hiring someone to get it straightened out.  crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif

73 Sanger Flat

Anyone have the clearance measurement from prop to bottom side of boat ? Tim or Jim  ???
I guess I could measure Galen Hydro ??

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ..

Disturbed

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Anyone have the clearance measurement from prop to bottom side of boat ? Tim or Jim  ???
I guess I could measure Galen Hydro ??

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ..

I've been forgetting everyday.  Sorry.  I'll try to remember this evening.