Opinions on Cryotreating Engine Parts

SyTy Speed Shop

Where does everyone stand opinion wise on the process of cryotreating engine parts?  They say it improves grain structure and material hardness and goes alot deeper into the metal.

Im thinking about building the stock 454 i have and getting atleast the stock cast crank treated to help it live, and maybe some other things too.

Anyone ever had or know someone who has done this before and if so, what were the results?

jimsplace

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Where does everyone stand opinion wise on the process of cryotreating engine parts?  They say it improves grain structure and material hardness and goes alot deeper into the metal.

Im thinking about building the stock 454 i have and getting atleast the stock cast crank treated to help it live, and maybe some other things too.

Anyone ever had or know someone who has done this before and if so, what were the results?

CRYOGENIC PROCESSING has been around for a while and many claims are made for its use and success.
Generally, I'd say it can be beneficial in some circumstances.  However, for most situations I'd say there are better ways to spend the money.
I'd recommend spending the money on getting a better crankshaft than spending the money that way. 
If you are getting the best crankshaft available, maybe the cryo process would be beneficial as part of it's process when only the best will do.  It may or it may not help.
In the case of a cast crank, it may or it may not help, just like the very best crank, it may or may not help.

If I recall, railroads used it some, or at least tried it.
I know some target shooters used it for barrels with mixed results.
    think.gif

SyTy Speed Shop

Yeah it seems the opinions are all over the place as to weather or not it actually does anything.  Ive talked to a place in Katy, and was quoted 175 for basically as much as i can fit into the container, i originally asked about doing a 4.3 V6 block and crank im going to be rebuilding for my Sonoma GT, as the 4.3 V6 doesn't have an aftermarket crank upgrade unless you drop 3-3500 for a custom billet crank, so the stock cast crank is it for most of us.

Now, the 454 i can get a pro comp forged crank for as low as ~500 bucks, but with my power level I'm pretty sure my stock cast crank will hold up fine, but was just thinking about getting it done as well to help.  I know alot of race teams that cryo everything and at the end of a season bearings and journals all look brand new, its said to stabilize the metal and your oil clearances don't move as much, and i read one thing where the guy had a set of aluminum heads treated and then had them powder coated, and it took the powder about 3 times as long as normal to flow out cause the heads wouldn't stay hot enough, so it seems to have some heat dissipation advantages as well.

jimsplace

SyTy, let us know if you have it done and what you find out.
I'd like to know.

Your information is interesting and worth checking out.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't heard anything on the cryo - treating in awhile. I was kind of wondering if anyone was still doing it. Let us know how it goes if you choose to go that route.

SyTy Speed Shop

Patchman said:
I haven't heard anything on the cryo - treating in awhile. I was kind of wondering if anyone was still doing it. Let us know how it goes if you choose to go that route.

Yes I'm going to get it done, now the only question is, what should i have treated?  I'm thinking since the minimum charge is 175, im going to have as much done as i can fit in the container.  And its advised to have the machine work done after treatment and you can then run tighter clearances due to the fact that the metal doesn't expand as much. 

http://customdesignperformance.com/ecatalog/cryo.html