old man rivers ride finally on the water

old man river

she's done and the maiden voyage was a success. I'm as excited now as much as I was when I bought her.

Attachments

• Medina Lake Boatramp.jpg
    Medina Lake Boatramp.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Damm - His thread already got hi jacked ..
No sir, we are happy to see him and the boat in the water! Now the rest of us need to get wet! crazy.gif

jimsplace

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Damm - His thread already got hi jacked ..

I did, so back to topic.

I think an update on the boat would be good.  Details on boat, motor and where it's going to run would be interesting, along with pictures when possible.
Some of the information may have been posted in the past, but I have a short memory.

No more thread jacking from me, I've been warned. (appropriately)
Along with old age comes indiscretions.
    :smile23:

old man river

Here's the description requested! BBC w/ solid cam, single carb. Split case casale with 22's. Still trying out props. Have a 2 blade 11 1/2" X15 pitch which seems too big. Bought a barehull from Randall 14 years ago as a peeling mess needing stringers. Have an old thread under v drive w/ alot of photos. "Progress on Tossin' and Turnin' ". The boat takes a good set real quick and the cav plate adjusts ride nicely. Motor is only spinning up to 5500rpm, so something is out of whack. Just have to figure out what it is. Having a ton of fun on Medina Lake. One of my kids lives on Travis and the other near Canyon Lake so I'll get to move around some. Have met FL350 and JJ so far. Look to meet y'all at some of the regatta's. Close to retiring but still working out of state alot. Hence, the 14 years to finish boat. The only thing I didn't do myself was the balancing of the motor and the sewing on the interior. I laid fiberglass, prepped and painted, built the seat and trim frames, cut and moulded the splash shield, wired and mounted all hardware. Y'all keep in touch. 9o3 6two5 850two Jerry and Denise Roberts

jimsplace

Thanks for posting.  With the work you've put into the boat, it sounds like you know your boat inside and out.  That's good. 

JJ is a really knowledgable guy regarding V-Drives and can probably supply you with whatever you need or tell you where to look.  He's also very practical too, when he provides information. 

I'm thinking you are on the right track regarding looking at the RPM.  Typically for flatbottoms, the faster you turn the motor, the better it responds.  However, it's all a package deal.  How fast are you comfortable turning the motor, how will it be used as are the limiting factors for the motor itself.
      :smile17:

old man river

The motor spun up to 7200 rpm on the dyno with a flex plate. I went with a flywheel on the install. I may look for a steel inserted aluminum aftermarket flywheel to lighten reciprocating assembly. I'd like to set my redline at 6500 with a cruising rpm of 5500 to 6000. Kids ski and grandkids tube, grandpa likes to go fast. Will be happy with 70-75mph. Don't want to over power the hull too bad. I'm not running a whirlaway. I'm trying NOT to buy a runner bottom with a blown injected motor. Wish me luck.

jimsplace

old man river said:
The motor spun up to 7200 rpm on the dyno with a flex plate. I went with a flywheel on the install. I may look for a steel inserted aluminum aftermarket flywheel to lighten reciprocating assembly. I'd like to set my redline at 6500 with a cruising rpm of 5500 to 6000. Kids ski and grandkids tube, grandpa likes to go fast. Will be happy with 70-75mph. Don't want to over power the hull too bad. I'm not running a whirlaway. I'm trying NOT to buy a runner bottom with a blown injected motor. Wish me luck.

In my opinion the 6500 would make for a long lasting motor and still run good.  The cruising RPM of 5500-6,000 would be hauling ass in a flat.  I doubt you're going to cruise at that.  My guess would be your cruising rpm will be closer to 3,000-3,500.  That always seemed like an enjoyable cruising speed.

I sense that I see a blown runner bottom in your future at some point.  I think Grandpa likes to play.