New Trailer Law

farmo83

So from what I read in the paper we now have to have our boat trailers inspected every year before we can renew starting March 1 ?

Devilman

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Law-requires-that-trailers-get-safety-inspections-6115851.php

Its not all of them, but still...

Looks like its a non issue for me, mine doesn't meet the requirements of needing an inspection. Taken from the article:

Texas law has for decades required annual safety inspection of trailers with a gross weight (weight of the trailer plus its carrying capacity or actual load) of more than 4,500 pounds

"It's pretty simple: As of March 1, to register a non-farm trailer that has a gross weight of 4,501 pounds or more, that trailer has to have a valid inspection," DMV's Southerland said.

Passing the annual safety inspection may prove a challenge for many trailers. Boat trailers, especially those used in highly corrosive saltwater, are notorious for having problems keeping lights operational. To pass the safety inspection, the trailer must have an operational brake system, tires and wheel assembly that meets requirements, and all lights - tail lights, brake lights, license plate light, side-marker lights and clearance lights - must be operational. Also, the trailer must have side and rear reflectors.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard about this, just hadn't really seen it enforced. I guess now it is. Well I personally don't think my trailers will have a problem. It's just gonna cost more money! crazy.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
KONA said:
Just got love words of wisdom from a person from the west coast,  I'm just antisapating the words from the New England states,  and everyone else,  There is so much wisdom out here,  please educate us poor dumbass,  but I'm going to enjoy the extra money
think.gif :smile21:

Devilman

damn I think that is the most posts I seen from Kona in a month all in the space of half an hour...  :smile16:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what it will cost for a trailer? Hope mine doesn't have to pass emissions! :smile20: :smile20: :smile20: :smile28:

Devilman

Patchman said:
I wonder what it will cost for a trailer? Hope mine doesn't have to pass emissions! :smile20: :smile20: :smile20: :smile28:

Peterson's trailer passed the inspection, and he paid a $7 fee to the inspection station; the state's $7.50 portion of the inspection fee will be added to the $45 annual trailer registration fee. (Many counties tack on a $10 road-and-bridge fee to trailer registration.)

Looks like $14.50 like a car or truck? That should be it unless you gotta fix a bunch of chit to get it to pass.....

Chevy2184

I'm just catching the tail end of this?? But I remember when I went do my local dmv with the lady is SUPER helpful unlike most! To get my new tags for my car hauler she said it does not haul more than 4k pounds right?? And actually told me wink wink? I was like what the hell are you talking about?? She said as long as we keep it under 4k that you didn't have to have it inspected?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys, I am editing this thread so that the important information, and harmless comments can stay. Any derogatory comments directed at any other members here, are gone! :smile30:

77Jet Star

Patchman said:
Sorry guys, I am editing this thread so that the important information, and harmless comments can stay. Any derogatory comments directed at any other members here, are gone! :smile30:
Dang guess I got nothing to say then        whatever.gif