New cam breakin

JK

I'm getting closer to getting my big block running. I want to know suggestions on breaking hydraulic cam in.

duanehydro

1st , and most important, is to make sure the valves, timing and carbs are set as close as possible. the whole problem with flat-tappet cam failure is there is no actual direct lubrication for the lobes, it is lubed by the oil slinging from the crankshaft. Thus, the engine needs to start as quickly as possible, to insure quick lube. Second, the engine needs to be above 2000-2200 for the same reasons. Make sure you have cooling water, and if you have an old set of headers, it's a good time to have them bolted on, as a new set hates this whole procedure.
Keep the engine reved above 2200, and vary the rpm (up to what you feel safe with) every few seconds to try and help the lifters rotate. Here is a video exaple of the break-in on the generals ride.... http://media.putfile.com/todd-65

hope this helps, and see you at coleto, I wanna ride in that thing!

JK

thanks duayne. It was pretty much what we thought. Hope we have it ready in time for coleto.

C

CorDog009

If you're running dual springs, it's a good idea to pull the inner valve springs out to take some pressure off the lifters and cam. Make sure you're running some kind of zinc and phosphorus additive to keep from wiping out the cam lobes. Like this Royal Purple stuff:
rp11487.jpg

duanehydro

Good point, I forgot to mention, I prefer Valvoline racing 20w-50, or Rotella T 15w-40 with some GM EOS added. :smile12: I've never tried the purple stuff...

oldbuck40

Duanehydro said:
Good point, I forgot to mention, I prefer Valvoline racing 20w-50, or Rotella T 15w-40 with some GM EOS added. :smile12: I've never tried the purple stuff...

if you dont do this just go ahead and buy another cam and get ready to rebuild it again! without it, it will trash the cam!

NotImportant-1

pro53 said:
oldbuck40 said:
pro53 said:
pro53 said:
Just dont let Richard break it in    :smile23: :smile23:
Sorry I had too  :grin:  :cool:
You know I am just messin with Oldtimer  :grin:
i know! it was just a matter of time! :smile23: :smile23:
Yea didnt want him pulling out the hurt feeling report  :grin:

No hurt feeling report her

At least I got the Nads to build my own and not pay someone to do it and it still goes flat :smile20:

NotImportant-1

Esabataj said:
pro53 said:
oldbuck40 said:
pro53 said:
pro53 said:

No hurt feeling report here

At least I got the Nads to build my own and not pay someone to do it and it still goes flat :smile20:

pro53

Esabataj said:
pro53 said:
oldbuck40 said:
pro53 said:
pro53 said:

Mine didnt go flat  :grin: I did build a sbc that a comp cam went flat in.  :rolleyes:
Didnt know about the EOS adder  :cool:

NotImportant-1

pro53 said:
Esabataj said:
pro53 said:
oldbuck40 said:
pro53 said:
pro53 said:

Mine didnt go flat  :grin: I did build a sbc that a comp cam went flat in.  :rolleyes:
Didnt know about the EOS adder  :cool:

Neither did anyone else when Mine was making boat anchors  LOL