My first v-drive

Tinbender71

I have been running jet boats the last couple of years, and finally picked up a v-drive. This is my first one, and cant wait to play with it. Its a 75 Nordic 18ft flat with a 400 Chrysler. All the gear looks great, but needs polishing, boat is straight and smooth, but needs paint. I think this is a good one to start with and get the hang of it.

I just got off the phone with JJ of Beaverfab who was kind enough to give me a ton of info, and pointers to whitch I am very greatfull for!

73 Sanger Flat

Congratulation -- There is nothing like a V-Drive .. If you like them , it is hard to get you out of one and into something different .. I love mine ..

JJ is a super nice guy and listen to what he tells you about V-Drives ..

spd500

I had alot of fun in my old v-drive . The only downside was that being a flat it beat me up everytime I took it out .

ChryslerJet

Tinbender71 said:
I have been running jet boats the last couple of years, and finally picked up a v-drive. This is my first one, and cant wait to play with it. Its a 75 Nordic 18ft flat with a 400 Chrysler. All the gear looks great, but needs polishing, boat is straight and smooth, but needs paint. I think this is a good one to start with and get the hang of it.

I just got off the phone with JJ of Beaverfab who was kind enough to give me a ton of info, and pointers to whitch I am very greatfull for!
Congrats on the score.  It's great to have another Chrysler motor on the board if you have any questions on that motor I'll be glad to help. I had been watching that one on Craigslist for awhile.  Do you mind spilling what you ended up paying for it?  And share some more photos.

These are real strong motors and can be built up its pretty easy to get 500" or more from them.

yeah he didnt want to water test it when i talked to him so i walked away. good luck, get the gearbox over to j j so he can go thru it and make sure it is right before you run it.

ChryslerJet

soldier of fortune said:
yeah he didnt want to water test it when i talked to him so i walked away. good luck, get the gearbox over to j j so he can go thru it and make sure it is right before you run it.
Randall great advice, I wouldn't have thought about that but then I have never had a Vdrive.

ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:
Randall great advice, I wouldn't have thought about that but then I have never had a Vdrive.

you want one cj? got a hydro forsale

ChryslerJet

soldier of fortune said:
ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:

I have my eye on one Randall one with some history that I like and fits me.  Have to get the CJ done first though.

ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:
ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:

I have my eye on one Randall one with some history that I like and fits me.  Have to get the CJ done first though.

every boat has history on it if ya look hard enough. the hydro i picked up was last raced out of lousiana under the name deliverance. who knows what lies under that coat of paint guess we will find out.

ChryslerJet

soldier of fortune said:
ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:
ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:

every boat has history on it if ya look hard enough. the hydro i picked up was last raced out of lousiana under the name deliverance. who knows what lies under that coat of paint guess we will find out.
Very True even HPJs warhawk he bought new has a history.
This Vdrive I am looking into has a Chrysler Racing History which appeals to me.

Have fun and good luck with the new project.

ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:
ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:
ChryslerJet said:
soldier of fortune said:

Very True even HPJs warhawk he bought new has a history.
This Vdrive I am looking into has a Chrysler Racing History which appeals to me.

Have fun and good luck with the new project.
chrysler racing history? no such thing, unless you talking about richard petty

Tinbender71

ell, I took it out last evening, just for a bit to get a feel of it. Went OK, but found the new prop has a bent ear, fortunately it came with another prop. Was vibrating, and felt like it was cavitating.

Tied again today, I AM HOOKED!!!!!  I love it!! Of all the toys Ive had in my life, this is the best. I drove it around for about an hour to get used to it. Opened up to about 5000 rpm, I would probably still be out there but my buddy had to be somewhere!

Now I have a couple of questions:

It pulls to the right a little hard, is this normal? If not what should I look for.

The cavitation plate does not seem to have much effect on the boat. It has a pedal with an override handle. It is moving, but not much. Cant see it do anything on trailer, runners are under it.

The cavitation plate is not flat, it is turned down at the corners. It looks like the turnbuckles are turned out more on the ends. Should I mess with it?

I am putting a pic from the rear so maybe you guys can see what Im talking about.

beaverfab

Look at the steering in the back, check the bolt through the quadrent on the ruder. Have someone hold the ruder and someone try and turn the steering wheel, watch for play. Also check the keway in the quadrent make sure it is tight. Did you change the pluming??? Call me if you have questions. j.j.

beaverfab

Leave the plates alone for now they should be turned down on the ends. Make one change at a time and keep a book on what you did and what differance it made. j.j.