MSD mounting box

spd500

I want to mount the MSD in a water tight box on my motor , anyone know where to get a good waterproof mounting box ? Or maybe mount the box under the transom out of sight instead ?

John

the marine msd boxes are water tight

Teague custom marine has a mounting bracket to where you could mount a msd box onto the end of you heads

KONA77

damn man,  i gave all my info in the other thread,  maybe Crusader can move this stuff over here,  just a thought  think.gif

Crusader

KONA said:
damn man,  i gave all my info in the other thread,  maybe Crusader can move this stuff over here,  just a thought  think.gif

Here ya go Kona....this was the best I could do. I split the topic and relocated it into the same section at Spd500's thread.

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=13569.0

spd500

John said:
the marine msd boxes are water tight

Teague custom marine has a mounting bracket to where you could mount a msd box onto the end of you heads

I know the marine boxes are watertight , but they don't make this box for marine application . Mine is a control box for the LS motor , but it looks like any other MSD box .

spd500

Crusader said:
KONA said:

Here ya go Kona....this was the best I could do. I split the topic and relocated it into the same section at Spd500's thread.

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=13569.0

Thanks Crusader  clap.gif

spd500

JETSTAR said:
I made mine went and bought the plexi glass and glued it together  :smile17:

Did you bend it and then glue it , or just cut all the sides separate and glue them together ? Do you have pics of it ? Is it completely sealed , or did you leave holes for condensation to drain ?

77Jet Star

I will put some pics later when I get home  I cut it and glued it it is mounted on the head on back side of engine  I left the bottom open for heat to get out

JETSTAR said:
I will pot some pics later when I get home  I cut it and glued it it is mounted on the head on back side of engine  I left the bottom open for heat to get out

It does look good! for a old man!! JK! but he did a good job ive seen it up close! :smile16:

hows the boat been john had it out in a while!

77Jet Star

Mike S said:
JETSTAR said:
I will pot some pics later when I get home  I cut it and glued it it is mounted on the head on back side of engine  I left the bottom open for heat to get out

It does look good! for a old man!! JK! but he did a good job ive seen it up close! :smile16:

hows the boat been jhon had it out in a while!
Thanks it is runnig great see you at the winter nats

spd500

If I put it uner the transom I will use something like that one , but I was hoping to be able to mount it on the motor in something that would look a little nicer .

oldbuck40

spd500 said:
If I put it uner the transom I will use something like that one , but I was hoping to be able to mount it on the motor in something that would look a little nicer .
Something to think about! even though a msd has rubber mounts the vibration directly on the engine 'could" cause it to fail prematurely? just my .02!

77Jet Star

Here ya go this is how I did my msd rpm box would work the same for large msd.I left the bottom open for heat escape.I hope this helps it is mounted on the rear of the engine head.Would not recomend sealing the bottom because of heat.

SimplyOrange

JETSTAR said:
Here ya go this is how I did my msd rpm box would work the same for large msd.I left the bottom open for heat escape.I hope this helps it is mounted on the rear of the engine head.Would not recomend sealing the bottom because of heat.

your screws in it gave me an idea, if you use 1/4" thisk lexan, you could drill and tap holes evenly spaced and use button head allen bolts, it would look sweet on a smoked box.

jimsplace

I would be very careful about enclosing any MSD box.  They get hot and need to be allowed to cool with the air.  Enclosing it will prevent that and overheating could be a problem.  There is a reason the boxes tend to have cooling fins, it isn't for looks.  Call MSD and get their opinion.