MSD Box

KONA77

electrical supply houses also has water proof boxes and lids,  i use them all the time for junction boxes where i need a lot of room,  or electrical devices,  they are grey

spd500

I was thinking something more like smoked lexan . I don't want an ugly junction box on top of my motor . I guess if all else fails I will mount it under the transom where it can't be seen . But that is about as far as the wiring harness is going to reach , it's made to mount in the engine compartment of a car , so it's not very long . I will pull it out and measure .

SimplyOrange

spd500 said:
SimplyOrange said:
spd500 said:
Hopefully something that looks good enough to mount on the top of the motor ?

glad makes a disposable food stroage box :D

im trying to make up a project to use the bender, sounds fun....but all my windsheilds use flat pieces.a clear engine cover would be sweet!

You didn't notice the part where I mentioned it has to look good did you ?

i was joking, but about the holes, it may do more harm than good, you ever seen a headlight with holes in the back? itll gather water, i didnt know msd boxes gave off moisture but if thats the case then i would put the holes in the top so the evaporated moisture could escape.

KONA77

better than holding water,  and i really don't think the vapor really gonna be a problem,  that should give enough ventilation

oldbuck40

spd500 said:
I was thinking something more like smoked lexan . I don't want an ugly junction box on top of my motor . I guess if all else fails I will mount it under the transom where it can't be seen . But that is about as far as the wiring harness is going to reach , it's made to mount in the engine compartment of a car , so it's not very long . I will pull it out and measure .
i had mine under the transom on my Taylor sj and never had a problem. and water did come over the back every now and then!

jimsplace

I would be very careful about enclosing any MSD box.  They get hot and need to be allowed to cool with the air.  Enclosing it will prevent that and overheating could be a problem.  There is a reason the boxes tend to have cooling fins, it isn't for looks.  Call MSD and get their opinion.

77Jet Star

Here are some more pics.as far as heat problems I have it near the alt fan and left plenty of room inside the bottom is partly open and so is the back.Dont think it will be any hotter than mounting it under a hood or transum.

Attachments

• box 10.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 66
  • box 11.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 64
  • box 13.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 65