MSD Box

spd500

No , not really  think.gif Where can I get a nice looking water proof box to mount the MSD in ? It is about the same size as any other MSD .

SimplyOrange

spd500 said:
Hopefully something that looks good enough to mount on the top of the motor ?

glad makes a disposable food stroage box :D

im trying to make up a project to use the bender, sounds fun....but all my windsheilds use flat pieces.a clear engine cover would be sweet!

Crusader

Wish I could help ya, I just don't have the skill level to make something like that.....which someone would actually pay for....lol.

spd500

I think if you made two interlocking U shaped pieces you could do it with just simple bends , thats how I have always made steel boxes . But I have no idea what to do with plastic bending , never messed with it .

spd500

SimplyOrange said:
spd500 said:
Hopefully something that looks good enough to mount on the top of the motor ?

glad makes a disposable food stroage box :D

im trying to make up a project to use the bender, sounds fun....but all my windsheilds use flat pieces.a clear engine cover would be sweet!

You didn't notice the part where I mentioned it has to look good did you ?

Becket

spd500 said:
How much to build a water tight box to mount an MSD on my motor ?
I wouldn't do that, if you seal it up its gonna sweat and corrode! Either buy a Marine MSD or mount it up front where it is less likely to get wet.

Crusader

spd500 said:
I think if you made two interlocking U shaped pieces you could do it with just simple bends , thats how I have always made steel boxes . But I have no idea what to do with plastic bending , never messed with it .

It's fairly easy to bend....once the plastic reaches a certain temperature, it immediately becomes pliable. Typically you have a few seconds before it cools off. If you want simple bends, that wouldn't be an issue.

Do you live anywhere near McKinney?

KONA77

spd500 said:

get youself a good heat gun and plexi,  lay it over a metal table edge and go to town  think.gif

spd500

Not even sure where Mckinney is , but since you hang out with the North guys I am going to say probably not . I am in Crosby , by Houston .

Crusader

KONA said:
spd500 said:

get youself a good heat gun and plexi,  lay it over a metal table edge and go to town  think.gif

That's what we ended up doing with my windshield....we went with a propane heater and heated up small sections of the windshield that we wanted to bend.

spd500

KONA said:
spd500 said:

Not a bad idea . Will it work with any lexan ? Or is there a certain grade for bending ?

Crusader

spd500 said:
Not even sure where Mckinney is , but since you hang out with the North guys I am going to say probably not . I am in Crosby , by Houston .

About 40 miles NNE of Dallas....

KONA77

spd500 said:
KONA said:
spd500 said:

Not a bad idea . Will it work with any lexan ? Or is there a certain grade for bending ?

i don't see why not,  but be carefull about the amount of heat,  and of course the thickness plays a roll

spd500

It don't really need to be very thick , just enough to keep the water out . I was kinda thinking of maybe drilling some holes in the back of it to keep it from building up heat or condensation .

Becket

spd500 said:
They don't make this box in a Marine application yet . It's the control box for my LS .
Gotcha, but keep in mind that anything you seal up like that is gonna get wet from condensate if it cant breathe to atmosphere unless you pull a vacuum on it and fill it with dry nitrogen.
all that aside you can look at Radio shack, they have enclosures for electronic projects, you may also try looking at Tower hobbies, the do WAY more than just cars and planes.

KONA77

holes would be a good idea,  and the thickness,  needs to be enough to hold the shape,  and be rigid