LS1 coil mod, put em under the headers.

blazeracer

Did the LS1 coil mod today. Here's a quick write up. I moved the coils under the headers using the original motor mount bolt holes. Now, when you flip the coils, you have to make sure to NOT flip the harness or the coils will fire in the wrong order. So step one is take off the harness and lay it down just as you took it off, flip the coils and bracket 180 like an airplane propeller, then plug the harness back in to whatever coil the plugs are now lined up with. You gotta jack with it a little, but it'll work. Leave the harness and coils together from here on out so the firing order stays correct.
Next, open up the bolt hole on one side so a motor mount bolt will go through, then drll another hole 8-7/8" center to center for the other bolt (right through the "1" in the part number). This might be different on a truck block. Now, cut two little pipe spacers, one 3/4" and one 7/8". Dress the backside of the two holes and weld the short one to the hole you opened up and the longer one to the hole you made. I also cut off all the extra holes and things not needed on mine. On the left side, this is all that's needed, paint it up and mount it. For the starter side, you still have to raise the coil above the starter about 1/2" for the harness to clear. Cut it off, weld it back on, add a little filler piece and clean er up. Also on the starter side, IF you have an MSD-6LS the coil harness won't reach so you gotta move that connector plug over one coil. Paint, then install. Keeping with the theme of the boat, I painted my brackets a shade of grey.
I do have stock LS1 wires, any aftermarket or truck wires will reach better. I'll be replacing my LS1 wires with something longer.

Attachments

• Coil6.jpg
    Coil6.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 61