Life Jackets?

Distant Thunder

Alright guys, give me your input on life preservers. Do the majority of you run Lifeline or just basic water-ski type life jackets? I'm curious because, the majority of the time I'll just be cruisin' around. Don't get me wrong, I'll have to stomp the loud pedal as well, but for the most part I'll just be puttin'. With gas so expensive now, can't afford to romp on it all day anyway. Give me your .02 worth.

TintMan

Mines not a lifeline brand-but i do have a good one that fits. After flipping a flatbottom in 1999-I learned that a proper fitting vest is your lifeline.Sometimes it may not be the cool thing to do-wearing a jacket...but neither is drowning!When i wrecked i had my vest on but it wasnt on properly and the vest almost choked me to death. :smile12:

Devilman

We have ski jackets as there's probably no need for Lifelines at the blistering speed of 55, lol... :grin:

Devilman

TintMan said:
Mines not a lifeline brand-but i do have a good one that fits. After flipping a flatbottom in 1999-I learned that a proper fitting vest is your lifeline.Sometimes it may not be the cool thing to do-wearing a jacket...but neither is drowning!When i wrecked i had my vest on but it wasnt on properly and the vest almost choked me to death. :smile12:

Copy that! Gotta try 'em on & find one that fits properly or chances are it ain't goingto work like its supposed to.

I'll wear mine if I'm running solo, but need to get in the habit of wearing them all the time. Things can go south in a hurry, if its not on already, probably isn't going to be time to put one on....

Distant Thunder

What exactly distinguishes a Lifeline jacket to others? Is it built differently or self-inflating? If I ever saw one, I didn't know what I was looking at (small wonder). I need to get jackets for me and my significant other and was trying to figure out which style I needed. As I mentioned previously, I'll just be cruising for the most part (especially with her). She's already mentioned how "loud" the boat is when it was idling on the trailer. She'll really scream if I stomp the throttle, but then again, I won't have to hear her--just that big block singing away.

73 Sanger Flat

Life Line is more geared toward racing . ,They also have pleasure jackets . here is a link for you to view their jackets .

They are superior to a common ski jacket but expensive . Wish i had the extra money to buy one .
http://www.lifelinejackets.com/race_jackets.cfm

73 Sanger Flat

I suggest  go to a place and try on some good fitting neoprem ski jackets . They fit very tight and would most likely work if you not going over 60-70 MPH . This is what I have , and I know I need something better before some one jump on my shit for this .

Devilman

Distant Thunder said:
She's already mentioned how "loud" the boat is when it was idling on the trailer. She'll really scream if I stomp the throttle, but then again, I won't have to hear her--just that big block singing away.

Thats why my boat's named "LOUDER THAN HER"....... :smile13:

Distant Thunder

I guess the cheaper style ski jackets might have the tendency to rip or tear off if involved in a crash? I like the neoprene but was wondering if they get hot while wearing them?

NotImportant-1

Devilman said:
Distant Thunder said:
She's already mentioned how "loud" the boat is when it was idling on the trailer. She'll really scream if I stomp the throttle, but then again, I won't have to hear her--just that big block singing away.

Thats why my boat's named "LOUDER THAN HER"....... :smile13:

Just wait till I see your better half  :smile23: :smile23: :smile23: :smile23:

duanehydro

Beware that lifeline jackets are NOT USCG approved, so if you get a GW that's had a bad day, they could getcha...

I've never had a GW ask me to remove my racing lifeline jacket to see the uscg sticker, though...... :wink:
Another alternative is the impact jackets rated @100 mph (sport jackets)
I found one @ walmart for $40 .......

Always wear a jacket!!!!!!!!!!!!!! life is too short....you can't swim with a couple broken ribs and a screwed up ankle and wrist.. Trust me, I know. http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=1854.0

Devilman

Esabataj said:
Just wait till I see your better half  :smile23: :smile23: :smile23: :smile23:

LOL, she knows. :grin:

Actually finally just put it on the boat last night, that was one of my Father's Day gifts, lol....

spd500

We bought a really nice set of jackets for the whole family at the boat show . The ones we went with are the wake board type . I really like them alot , they fit well and have a good strong zipper as well as the buckles . I am not sure what the best out there are , but mine fit well and are comfortable enough to wear while in the boat . If the best jacket made is under the seat when you need it most it will probably not do it's job very well .

spd500

It might also make a difference what you plan to do with the boat though . If you are cruising the lake get something comfortable to wear for an hour or two at a time . If you are racing get the best protection money can buy . If you are just going to show and shines at Hooters you can just do like Ghost Rider does , wear a couple of wax pads like pasties in a strip club , but make sure they match your speedo .  :smile12: :smile12: :smile13: :smile13:

jimsplace

A lifeline jacket is not uncomfortable to wear.  It is a little more difficult to put on.  The racing jackets are designed to turn you face up in the water even though you may be unable to do it yourself.  The approved racing jackets will not tear off as some jackets might. 
Ski jackets are designed only to aid in flotation. They are not designed to keep you face up.  They also help only if you have it on. 
If you have a high performance boat, save the money and get a racing jacket.
If you don't have a racing jacket now, wear a good jacket every time you are in your boat.
I don't want my day ruined because they can't find your body.

My $0.02.  Have a nice day.

73 Sanger Flat

I agree with Jim on this , I know I do not have a lifeline , but I do want one . I do wear my jacket everytime I get in my V-Drive . You never know what will happen to you out in the water . I was very lucky to catch my rudder cracking this year ,If it broke , I am sure I would have been tossed out and wishing that I would have bought a Lifeline Jacket

oldbuck40

i understand what Jim is saying,,only problem is most of the young guys still have the mentality of nothing is going to happen to me! well it can and it does! and the older i get i see more and what could happen and alot of the What if's?

you guys that dont wear them dont take this as preaching, look at it as, someone out there cares enough about your life to tell you what can happen riding in these boats.  guess mainly cause they have been there done that!

J C Gordon

We run the jet pilot side entry jackets, they are not lifelines but they fit very nice and they are a side entry less likely to come off when the s#it hits the water!!  My boats not that fast but the thought of leaving my kids makes me wear one every time we go for a ride...  Is not a cool thing but more of a live long thing..  :smile15:

T

taylormanss

i run some really nice orange ones,that are coast guard approved,actually i think one of them still says coast guard on it :smile15: