Lake travis

jimmyray0682

I'm going to the lonestar thunder run on lake travis in July and was wondering what coves people go to to raft up? I know of devils cove but that's about it.

customtouch

Cow Creek is the other big one and there is one other we like going to but I will have to look up the name and get back to you.

jimsplace

jimmyray0682 said:
Luckily I have cheap anchors, so it wont be a big loss

:smile17:
Hmmm, I'd be more concerned about the boat floating away.
My anchors are inexpensive too, but the boat isn't, and how do you get home?
I guess you can always call UBER.   

[size=8pt]DAMN, the phone is in the boat.[/size]

jimmyray0682

I don't get too far away from my boat.

I've heard of people using heavy chain instead of anchors on lake travis. Is that really a thing?

jimsplace

They could use heavy chains, but I think what you've heard is they use a chain attached to the anchor and the rode (rope) is attached to the chain.  The heavy chain acts a shock absorber as it lays on the bottom and must be lifted when the rope is pulled due to wave action.  It then settle back to the bottom to repeat the process over and over.

Nearly all big boats will use a chain in the line.

customtouch

jimsplace said:
They could use heavy chains, but I think what you've heard is they use a chain attached to the anchor and the rode (rope) is attached to the chain.  The heavy chain acts a shock absorber as it lays on the bottom and must be lifted when the rope is pulled due to wave action.  It then settle back to the bottom to repeat the process over and over.

Nearly all big boats will use a chain in the line.

That is correct. The chain helps the hooks of the anchor bite into the lake bottom. Without the chain in front of the anchor it will not perform near as well. Of course.......tying the rope on right helps too!!!  :grin:

farmo83

The rope is key.

We were fishing in the trees at Lake Sommerville one time when I was a kid and a guy threw his anchor chain(which was also chained to the bow eye of his boat). When it wouldn't come up he started offering a bunch  of money for one of the rest of us to bring him a hack saw.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
farmo83 said:
The rope is key.

We were fishing in the trees at Lake Sommerville one time when I was a kid and a guy threw his anchor chain(which was also chained to the bow eye of his boat). When it wouldn't come up he started offering a bunch  of money for one of the rest of us to bring him a hack saw.

Now that would suck! crazy.gif