Jerk or Guardian Angel

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
This is going to be a bit long. So if you don't mind a read for the day!

For those who don't know, I sell masonry products for the home industry. ( Brick, Mortar, Stone and such) I have been in this business for 15 years, and seen allot of dumb things. One of my biggest hang-ups, are those who ask questions about things they don't know. Then half way through the answer they know everything.

Monday - Had a home builder come in looking for a fire mortar. I asked him if he needed fire brick to go with said mortar. He let's me know that he isn't using fire brick, just house brick he has left over. So I let him know that wasn't to code and he would be breaking the law. His statement was it didn't matter it was his own house. So I asked if dying in a house fire sounded like a good idea. He seemed to be taken back at my response at first, but then decides to buy the fire brick. He then followed up with some more questions about fire place construction. I'm not sure if he still was going to cut some corners, but maybe he did it right.

Then there was today. I get a call from my local Fire Marshall office. They are investigating a house fire from last week. Apparently the fire came from a wall that was behind a fire place. So I get the old everything was bought from you supposedly. After identifying what products I sell and their certifications, we start discussing application of the products. A crash course on proper construction is pretty simple. First they frame your fire box out of the fire brick, then they do two layers or courses of some other type of house brick on the outside of the firebox. This creates three layers of non- combustible material protecting your framing from the fire and heat. This house has one fire box made of fire brick, and nothing else. So they right away had their answer as to whom is responsible for this catastrophe!

The builder of the home came into our office a year ago. Right off the bat he was rude to the girls in my office. After trying to assist him, they handed him over to me. He was one of those guys who had built a hundred houses, but hadn't done it in quite awhile. So that's why it was very apparent that he didn't know squat! I was never so happy as to have this thing behind me I thought. During the process I questioned just about everything he ordered. The quantities were strange, and he said it was accurate. I didn't pursue it very hard like I did with the guy Monday. I kind of let him run it like I would a good builder. The sad part is that this house is the most expensive house in the subdivision. The owners payed $400k for a subdivision that the highest before that was $325K. The fireplace is an outdoor fireplace attached to the garage. They had built a fire that nite, and I guess let it burn down to the point that they were comfortable leaving it and going to bed. They were awaken by the sound of their smoke alarms going off. That allowed them to get the whole family out in time and the fire department was there in no time to get it extinguished. The fireplace looks pretty much intact. It appears that it got so hot, it actually started the framing of the wall on fire. So the wall burnt from the inside out! If it had been built properly, this would not have happened. I guess the good thing is that the builder is probably still around. He would have been the one to point the authorities in my direction since the house was a spec house. I'm thinking his home building days will be over after this mistake. Now I'm waiting for the lawyers and insurance companies to contact us with our defective products!

The girls and I had a discussion about how I was dealing with the idiot builder I dealt with Monday. I said he probably thought I was a Jerk because I argued with him. But I didn't want to have the thought of someone getting hurt on my conscience! I thought maybe it was a stretch, and I should have just let him be! Well now I look at it, and I'm glad I schooled that idiot! I wish I could have gotten through to this other one that dam near got a family killed! I hope he realizes the pain he has caused them, and right before the holidays to boot! Be careful who you deal with in life! If something don't set well with you, make sure you investigate it! The crap folks are doing now days is flat scary! And even though they may not seem to be worth your effort at the time, you never know who they will effect in the long run.  crazy.gif crazy.gif

Chevy2184

Your a supplier! Not a installer! Man if that was the case those box stores would be sued once a week... You don't have to have a permit... Or a installers license... I tell you these "so called" contractors?? That don't even own a tool belt? But beat every sub up on their price and cut every corner possible to put more profit in their pocket?? That's what's bull shit!! I think it costs 500$ to be registered with the state as a "contractor"?? And they can shut down shop and open up under a new name and new town in no time and start their bs all over again not learning a damn thing from the last town... Other than the homeowner that got sweet talked and thought they were getting a good house for a good price... Not knowing what was hid behind the Sheetrock! Until they start making these home builders have some kind of investment and ownership of their business?? All they do is point fingers and cash checks... I still to this day don't know why people won't throw out the cheapest bid... Lol it would save EVERYBODY in most cases a HOLE lot of head ache.... Just my 2 cents... 😎

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

jimsplace

It's something to think about for sure.

You certainly did the right thing informing the mortar buyer about the hazards.  A lot of places would have just sold what the customer wanted and let them go on their way, possibly creating a dangerous situation for them or someone else down the road.
Good for you. clap.gif

Devilman

You did your part Steve. You informed the customer of the dangers of doing it incorrectly and/or the wrong materials. After that it's out of your hands & if someone does something wrong or against what they were told and something comes of it, it'll be on them, not you. The old saying about leading a horse to water kinda applies here... :wink: It happens out here occasionally, although not to a life threatening degree, but people use the wrong materials to save some $$$ even after being told it's wrong... the delicious part is the occasional call back bitching about the project that went sideways & we get to tell them "I told ya so", lol....

FL350

Administrator
Man I see that every other day in the marine business. Especially in the last 2 with the cold weather that has arrived.  crazy.gif