Info on Inks/LBJ Lake

customtouch

Made some reservations for 4th of July at Rio Vista in Kingsland and looking at the map it looks like it is between Inks and LBJ. I've never been on either lake so I'm looking for input and info on that area. Can you boat to both Inks and LBJ from there or is there a dam between them? Anything to look out for on the lake such as hazards or shallow spots? Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Anyone else gonna be there on the 4th of July weekend?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I boat on Inks. My sister in law has a place up there. It's a small but real nice lake. There are dams on both ends. LBJ gets choppy on holiday weekends.  :smile30:

Devilman

Pretty sure there is a dam between Inks & LBJ. Inks is kinda small. Didn't seem like much room to make any long high speed runs, but a nice lake to cruise around. We've only been on it once a few years ago with Patch & his family. There was a nice little rock island up the lake a little ways where we tied up, hung out & swam. I think Steve has been there more times since then so may be able to tell ya about any hazards. Seems like he mentioned something about an area reserved for diving & kayakers, but been too long to recall for sure.

LBJ was another story, lol..  It may have just been the area we launched as I have seen posts from a few guys that run jet boats out there. My brother bought his 21' daycruiser from a guy in Kingsland actually. Personally for me, unless there was a better place to go in my boat, I wouldn't care if I ever saw that lake again. Something like your boat will be fine though. We ended up in a party cove of sorts that was a bit different than what I'm used to far as party coves go, tons of wakeboard/ski boats & all standing around holding their bouncing boats from all the waves lol.  crazy.gif

customtouch

Patchman said:
I boat on Inks. My sister in law has a place up there. It's a small but real nice lake. There are dams on both ends. LBJ gets choppy on holiday weekends.  :smile30:

So is there a dam between Inks and LBJ or just at each end? If there is a dam and I am in Kingsland, will I be on Inks, LBJ, or none of the above? LOL!!

Devilman

customtouch said:
So is there a dam between Inks and LBJ or just at each end? If there is a dam and I am in Kingsland, will I be on Inks, LBJ, or none of the above? LOL!!

Yes. :smile16: Just looking at it on the map, if you are in Kingsland, you will be way up river from the body of LBJ, but appears to be boatable all the way down. You will not be able to get onto Inks Lake from Kingsland by water... unless your boat has some James Bond type shit going on that you haven't told us about, lol! Also looking at it on the map, the rock island where we hung out is still there/exposed. Pretty cool.

customtouch

Devilman said:
customtouch said:

Yes. :smile16: Just looking at it on the map, if you are in Kingsland, you will be way up river from the body of LBJ, but appears to be boatable all the way down. You will not be able to get onto Inks Lake from Kingsland by water... unless your boat has some James Bond type shit going on that you haven't told us about, lol! Also looking at it on the map, the rock island where we hung out is still there/exposed. Pretty cool.

Yeah, the map I was looking at wasn't very detailed but that was the way it appeared on it too. May have to try and find this "rock island" you speak of. Hopefully not by accident!!! LOL!!!

Devilman

customtouch said:
Yeah, the map I was looking at wasn't very detailed but that was the way it appeared on it too. May have to try and find this "rock island" you speak of. Hopefully not by accident!!! LOL!!!

Haha, yeah that is for sure! Not sure how recent the Google Map pic is, it says 2018? But it is pretty substantial & well seen in the pic so shouldn't be a problem. When we were there, we put in at the state park & then went up the lake. The island is not too far past the Hwy 29 bridge. We could see the Buchanan dam from the water there.

TexasJet

Boating on any part of LBJ on the 4th is going to be a challenge. The bigger boats stay below Kingsland. The wake board boats usually stay above Kingsland on the LLano fork or the LBJ fork. Inks is 1/2 moon shaped and only 2 to 3 miles long, if that. Beautiful lake for sure. Between the jet skis and wakeboarders you will have your hands full. 

farmo83

I've been on LBJ several times and I think of it as a baby Lake Travis. At least when I was there the inspot to hang out at was the light house which was around chest deep. Everyone just pulled up and stopped and walked around. Yeah it can get rough but your checkmate would be fine. As Texas Jet said most everyone stays down south of the Llano river. The farther north you go though it gets less populated. The only other thing is there is a big sand bar in the middle of the lake so to go past it you get funneled down into a channel. There was tons of bouys for it when I was there so you can't miss it.

customtouch

Thanks for all the feed back from everyone.  Its always good to have a little info before hitting a new lake. I want to start hitting a few new lakes and the best thing (so far) about this location is there are cottages in the same place as the campground so everyone can be together regardless if you have a camper or not. Gonna be a big family outing so we will see how it goes being on a holiday. Should be interesting at least. LOL!!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
customtouch said:
Thanks for all the feed back from everyone.  Its always good to have a little info before hitting a new lake. I want to start hitting a few new lakes and the best thing (so far) about this location is there are cottages in the same place as the campground so everyone can be together regardless if you have a camper or not. Gonna be a big family outing so we will see how it goes being on a holiday. Should be interesting at least. LOL!!
Sounds cool, we will be looking forward to some pics! :smile17:

customtouch

Well I think I can say I am pretty much done with LBJ. If I want water that rough I will just stay on Travis  where you at least have room to run. The water was so sloppy up river from all the wake boats that when I hit one of the wakes it busted the hinges on the deck hatch and it came flying off. I drug the skag unloading because of the ramp being too shallow and put a couple of gouges in the gel coat getting slammed into the dock from the huge waves.  It was a good time being with the grandkids and family but being unfamiliar with the lake,  it was not kind to the poor little Checkmate

Attachments

• 20180708_134144.jpg
    20180708_134144.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 107

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that about the boat. I like Inks lake, and I want to try Buchanon. They can keep LBJ as far as I'm concerned as well.  :smile20: