Ignition MSD or Fuel related problem?

76Avenger

Was on the boat tonight after work made it off the trailer and the motor was ideling fine and just died like you turned the key off.  I had fuel in the filter and when i hit the carb fuel would go down the carb.  I have a 460 with MSD ready to Run and a Marine 6m2 MSD box.  After a few minutes i was able to get it started and back on the trailer.  When it was on the trailer still in the water of course It fired up ran smooth for a few minutes then died again just like if you were to turn the key off.  Im look for some suggestions if it happens again this weekend weres a good place to start ?? I can bypass the MSD box if need be

Thanks for any feed back.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the ready to run distributor, you can wire it up with out the MSD box and see what it does! You can pull the wiring specs off MSD's website. :smile16:

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
If you have the ready to run distributor, you can wire it up with out the MSD box and see what it does! You can pull the wiring specs off MSD's website. :smile16:
My bet would be the MSD box

duanehydro

personally seen 20+ older boats with a loose connection at or bad ignition (key) switch.. Make sure there is 12 volts at the red wire that turns on the msd..also check all grounds..just a thought.

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
That's a good point.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Yup Duane's probably right.  In my rush to come up with a solution and blame the box I ignored the easy solutions.  Always check the box, wiring, etc before just replacing.

spd500

ChryslerJet said:
Patchman said:
That's a good point.

Yup Duane's probably right.  In my rush to come up with a solution and blame the box I ignored the easy solutions.  Always check the box, wiring, etc before just replacing.

ChryslerJet

spd500 said:
ChryslerJet said:
Patchman said:
That's a good point.

Pay no attention to the guy with the Chrysler , he is just trying to increase his post count .
SO must be the guy with the non running LSX

spd500

I'm not the one to rush in with halfass advice on how to rig everything that gets asked about . Everything on my ride is done right , and if I don't know how to do something right I don't bother posting in someones thread just because there is a reply button at the bottom of the page .

ChryslerJet

spd500 said:
I'm not the one to rush in with halfass advice on how to rig everything that gets asked about . Everything on my ride is done right , and if I don't know how to do something right I don't bother posting in someones thread just because there is a reply button at the bottom of the page .
At least I admit when I am wrong.

stickman07

And yet another thread circles the drain .....

Sent from my iPhone 4S bought with UNION Dollars ! 🇺🇸🚒

76Avenger

well went through all the ground connections and then unlpulged the MSD and re pluged it in.  Went to the lake this morning and it ran Great!  Hopefully it was a loose conections time will tell.