I have a couple of V-Drive decisions to make.

HellinnFrnt

jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif

Yeah it looks like a 2 boat job fixing the old trailer up ... fenders,axles,tongue,hitch,wheels,tires,lights and paint maybe some Electric brakes on one axle ......

Wakemaker

Well, after talking to JJ today, I'm leaning toward changing the fins on my boat to the shorter ones.  His opinion is that it's not likely to affect handling, and might actually pick up a couple of MPH.  jump.gif

How have you been doing Ray?  I haven't really gotten on THB in awhile, I'm thinking about taking the boat out tomorrow afternoon......NOT!  Supposed to be 25-35 mph winds and up to 40 and cold as hell on top of it.  Looks like the fin swap will have to wait.  :smile25:

3boatpaul

think.gif take you'r fin's off and make a templet of the off the bottom of the fin's . redraw 3 in's up and cut.
as far as the hard ware , if you can find or know of some fab shop's  ( scrap waste ) or metal warehouse's  get ahold of some 60t6  6x6 angle and redo the angle plates from the rail's to the v-drive plate. everything is doable with some thought and planning.  ck out some metal scrap yard's
you would be supprised what you might find.

Wakemaker

3boatpaul said:
  think.gif take you'r fin's off and make a templet of the off the bottom of the fin's . redraw 3 in's up and cut.
as far as the hard ware , if you can find or know of some fab shop's  ( scrap waste ) or metal warehouse's  get ahold of some 60t6  6x6 angle and redo the angle plates from the rail's to the v-drive plate. everything is doable with some thought and planning.  ck out some metal scrap yard's

Sounds like a good plan, but I'm not sure that I have anything that would cut those fins down without screwing them up.  I made some support brackets today for my rudder out of some leftover cavitation plate aluminum, and I was using a scroll saw with a metal blade, took me awhile, but they turned out real nice.  Probably made them look way too good, since they are all the way at the back of the boat and no one will ever see them.  :smile30:

3boatpaul

Wakemaker said:
3boatpaul said:

Sounds like a good plan, but I'm not sure that I have anything that would cut those fins down without screwing them up.  I made some support brackets today for my rudder out of some leftover cavitation plate aluminum, and I was using a scroll saw with a metal blade, took me awhile, but they turned out real nice.  Probably made them look way too good, since they are all the way at the back of the boat and no one will ever see them.  :smile30:
time to buy a sawsall.  if those are alum. fin's it's doable, just  take you'r time  after i cut mine i put a 80 grit  paper on my sander and contoured to final shape  and  then finished up with finer grit paper .

3boatpaul

Wakemaker said:
3boatpaul said:

dude ------ tell me you did not cut up a set of cav. plates.??????? man i'm looking for some.

Wakemaker

No, the first weekend that I had my boat (the second day actually) we were cruising across the lake and it was a little rough but I've been in worse, My throttle cable was really binding up and hard to work easily.  My friend next to me wanted to try the gas pedal while I was driving so I let him have it next thing he's tapping me on the shoulder telling me the throttle is stuck.  I took over and tried to jam my heel on the pedal but it was really stuck good, so I just shut it off.  Got the pedal unstuck and got ready to take off and all I could do was turn left, and suddenly I had a water leak!  think.gif  Had to swim the boat to the nearest bank and check it out and the cavitation plate on the left side of the boat was almost ripped off, but it wasn't I had a giant rudder that I didn't have before.  I was trying to just take the whole thing off so that maybe I could get to the nearest boat ramp a mile away, but it was the one the real rudder went through.  Long story short, went out and bought a sheet of aluminum, and had a shop use the others for templates and haven't had any more cavitation plate woes since.  Had enough aluminum left over to make another set of plates and some support brackets for the inside of the transom (which I still haven't got around to making yet).  Basically what I got was the same thing they sell at Glenwood, but I bought it for scrap price instead of their "Break out another thousand" price. :smile30:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Clayton, I can help you with some welding, if it will make it to Magnolia. think.gif

jimsplace

Have you priced new axels?  They don't really cost that much for new matching axles.  Just decide what will match your current wheel bolt pattern.

FormulaZR

Replace your frankenstein axle with the axle from the single axle trailer. Then put your frankenstein axle on the single axle trailer. Then sell the single frankenstein axle trailer and the boat you don't want.

KONA77

Devilman said:
Clayton, you gonna take it over to Steve's, let him weld it up for ya?

YEAH, but better get it X- Rayed,  I've seen his welding.....  you want the boat in the water not on the pavement  crazy.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
KONA77 said:
Devilman said:
Clayton, you gonna take it over to Steve's, let him weld it up for ya?

YEAH, but better get it X- Rayed,  I've seen his welding.....  you want the boat in the water not on the pavement  crazy.gif
I have a real welder, unlike some others I know! ( No names mentioned) crazy.gif

Wakemaker

Looks like I'm going to be staying over by the Woodlands for awhile.  I'm starting a job Monday that is supposed to last about 14 weeks, and I'll be staying at a friends house near Tamina.  I think he actually has a Conroe address.  Does anyone live near this area?

Devilman

Wakemaker said:
Going to be hard to weld the trailer with the boat on it don't you think?  You got a ramp nearby Steve?

Guess it depends on where at on the trailer the welding needs to be done.  :wink: When George added that axle to his trailer, the boat was still on it. I know there was some welding involved there....

Devilman

Wakemaker said:
Sounds like it would be tough to do with the boat still on the trailer.  think.gif

Guess you could take the long way & go by Roger's place, he has a tank at the compound. Could let it float there for a few days, I don't mind. :cheesy:

KONA77

Devilman said:
Wakemaker said:
Sounds like it would be tough to do with the boat still on the trailer.  think.gif

Guess you could take the long way & go by Roger's place, he has a tank at the compound. Could let it float there for a few days, I don't mind. :cheesy:

the year is still young,  but Devilman is getting way ahead in the Funny Man of the Year Award  :grin:  :grin: