Hydro Question

outlawjet

I've got a '78 Sanger Drag Hydro, I haven't put her in the water yet because I havn't put her back together yet, but I will, The question I have is..There is a lever control monted on the stringer in between seat and the hot foot with a cable mount( like a carb.) mounted to the floor. The Boat was born with outboard steering and a blown BBC (that I'm in the process of getting now), I have had a few boats in my life and seen a lot more, but this is my first Hydro and I would like to know if anybody might be able to enlighten me on this, any help woud be greatly apprecated

duanehydro

I'll take a stab at it...remote shifter for the gear box so the driver doesn't have to turn around, since the gearbox is so far back... :huh:

outlawjet

Thought of that but the gear box don't look like it's ever had anything hooked to it other than the Tach. drive??? The mystery contiues....Thanks :smile21:

duanehydro

Todd's is a ski hydro......the gearbox is further forward, it's right behind the seat, in a drag hydro, it's way back yonder....

outlawjet

Well I'm 99.9% sure it's orignal to the boat.what ever it operated it was done with a cable....two speed Lenco ??? or something as simple as man. choke for carbs?, but Like I say it belive it was born with it so maybe some one will see it a say oh that's a ......... I don't know the mystery continues....

3boatpaul

:smile19:  :smile19:  on l/h stringer all i could think it would be is BY PASS LEAVER for manual fuel pump  r/s stringer is where we usually put the levar for parachutes  lever angle in relation to handel doesn't make any sense to me  and shifters are usally air operated i  could be wrong have been before and will again  :smile23:  :smile23:

3boatpaul

:smile19:  :smile19: OK lets get this straight is rudder out board ie drag hydro or behind prop---ie ski hydro  2 differnt animals on how they are rigged out.---check back transom for mounts to see if ever had chutes if  do you know what kind of fuel system the motor had on it ???  if mech. inj. lever was probably for that.  :smile19:  :smile19: 

3boatpaul

hi randall sad to say no im in the process of putting it back together have had it stored for the last 11 years.  there are photos that i'm going to have to scan into computer  all pics. were taken back in 80 and 90's before digital.  in the early days ran a j.p.1 blown alky with 2 speed linco with 180 % over gears against a 11 1/2 x 17 prop.  later ran a 500 ci in  n/a motor.  was forced to give it all up 12 years ago,  destroyed 2 motors back to back and ex wife had robbed my business  and bankrupted me.  i ill have to get stretch to help me post some pics. of my sandbar hopper you will love it . old 74 sanger with blowned and injected 565 dart motor with all the goodies.  i'm not computer savie enough to post pics so will need some help, but  will get some up just bear with me.  :smile15: 

RandyJET

I had a lever like that on the stringer that went to the water feed to dry the ehaust when you race you could idle to the rope get ready to run dry the exhaust and put  it back on after running the pass.

heavyd

I used to have the same thing a rod or cable is hook to that shifter and then it hooks to the v-drive to put it in and out of gear.

The General

Hey Mike, i'm gonna have to disagree with you... I doubt very strongly that the boat came from Sanger with that piece.

Boat looks good!!

Looks like we are seeing more hydro's pop up around here

duanehydro

The General said:
Hey Mike, i'm gonna have to disagree with you... I doubt very strongly that the boat came from Sanger with that piece.

Boat looks good!!

Looks like we are seeing more hydro's pop up around here

Does this mean you might "hang out" with us for a while?

duanehydro

The General said:
OUCH!!! What did i do to Randall???

Hey Duane, i plan to. What's up with the boat in your sig???
That's the purple boat @ Goat Hill....I love that shot..... :huh: 
10376Ashley1.bmp

duanehydro

OH SNAP! that's my jet boat , Todd...duh, @ coleto, about 10 years ago. Picture from the overflow area... :smile12: sexy aint it?