How well are MSD controllers shielded from water?

galen

I run a 7520 digital 7. All parameters are adjusted from rotary switches on the end. My question should I put a small film of clear silicon or something similar over the switches and wire connections?  You can see the switches on the end and where it sets in the boat. I am going to try and get a spare box, coil and pickup before spring but want to make sure I don't kill it from water. You can see in the picture the switches, etc.

KONA77

you could get a tupperware container of something similar that would fit the plate you have and drill some holes in the bottom to help keep it dry

ChryslerJet

My suggestions mount it as high as you can, make a splash shield and silicone around any possible openings.  Those things are not cheap.

My .02 would be 1) relocate it under the dash on your plate where you will be able to reach the dials and be done with it and not worry about the water! 2) buy a 7531 MSD with a hand held controller where you like we use on or race cars for quick changes! 3) but not last lol build a plexiglass box around it like Jetstar did for his rev limiter and silicon it up!

I like #2 it's a really good box and does every thing under the sun but it comes with a price tag like $850 and anther $200 for the hand control!  :smile30:

Edit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/7531/10002/-1?parentProductId=752994
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/7550/10002/-1?parentProductId=752994#moreDetails

galen

Called MSD. Was told to pull the covers and check if it is sealed, they were sold both ways. If not I am going to silicon it up. They did say don't cover it or it will burn up. I will pull it apart this weekend and keep ya posted on what I find.

duanehydro

My msd 7 was under a foot of water for a week.... :smile18:
Pulled it out, pulled case, all potted inside, no damage whatsoever. I've opened newer units that wen't potted...( i think that's what you call the internals completely dipped in plastic?)

jimsplace

Galen
When you take it apart, let us know what you find.

As a side note, when you do open it up, be sure to disconnect it and let it sit for at least a little while before you reach inside for loose connections or bare wires.
If you don't, you could find out why you should.
  :smile16:

duanehydro

jimsplace said:
Galen
When you take it apart, let us know what you find.

As a side note, when you do open it up, be sure to disconnect it and let it sit for at least a little while before you reach inside for loose connections or bare wires.
If you don't, you could find out why you should.
  :smile16:
lol....good point.

Disturbed

LMAO.  Yeah, just because it's not connected to a battery and/or turned on doesn't mean it won't turn YOU on.