Holley 660s

Disturbed

Anybody know what the secondaries should be adjusted at?  I've googled it and haven't had any luck.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
What on the secondaries are you adjusting? Throttle blade opening or squirter lever? :smile21:

duanehydro

lol, only 1 squirter.... :smile16:
Throttle blade opening? just a hair of the idle circuit slot should be seen below the blade...does that help?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Usually on most, they just crack them open a hair! But them some old school stuff there. think.gif

Disturbed

Patchman said:
Usually on most, they just crack them open a hair! But them some old school stuff there. think.gif

Mexican John was saying he had some data on the 660 settings.  I don't have his digits...

Disturbed

Patchman said:
Did you get your timing back in the rite spot? :smile21:

Ya know, you might actually have a point.  I wonder what's going on with the advance weights and springs.

KONA77

DISTURBED said:
Yes.  Throttle blade opening.  I'm having hell getting it to idle consistently.

Hate to say, but time to get a bbf,  but now patch is headed down the wrong path,  you two should get along fine  :grin:

jimsplace

Duanehydro said:
lol, only 1 squirter.... :smile16:
Throttle blade opening? just a hair of the idle circuit slot should be seen below the blade...does that help?

This could be right, but if that doesn't work, I would back both the primary and secondary screws out until the blades are fully closed.
Turn both the primary and secondary screws in until they just touch the idle screw stop. ( I use a feeler gauge to get them the same, the goal is to get them equal)
At this point,  I would try 1 1/2 turns in on each idle screw.  That should be a good starting point.
The books all talk in terms of where they are in relation to the transition slot and keeping them the same.

Turn the idle mixture screws all the way in until they stop. (gently)  Turn each screw out about 1 1/2 turns each.  When making adjustments, turn each screw in or out exactly the same amount.
Marking the screw with a white or black dot on the screw heads help to keep things the same.

I have 9375-1, 1050 Dominators and that isn't possible.
The transition slot is higher on the secondaries, but they don't tell you that.
I don't know anything about the 660's.
  :smile17:

73 Sanger Flat

Tim I am curious why you do not have your timing locked out ?  Even when I had 13.6:1 compression I locked my timing .. I installed a kill wire so I could turn the engine over and then hit the ignition . Never had a problem .. It will idle better this way .. The springs and weights will not be trying to change the timing .. Set mine at 34*to 36*
Also I ran no power valve , did not want to blow one in case it back fired .. Ran the same size jets on all four corners .. I know some people have good luck with power valves . I did not .. How much cruising time do we really do in these boats ?

Disturbed

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Tim I am curious why you do not have your timing locked out ?  Even when I had 13.6:1 compression I locked my timing .. I installed a kill wire so I could turn the engine over and then hit the ignition . Never had a problem .. It will idle better this way .. The springs and weights will not be trying to change the timing .. Set mine at 34*to 36*
Also I ran no power valve , did not want to blow one in case it back fired .. Ran the same size jets on all four corners .. I know some people have good luck with power valves . I did not .. How much cruising time do we really do in these boats ?

I really have never had the need to lock out the advance until now.  I was at work late last night or else, I might be saying that it is locked out.  LOL.    :smile17: