Hawaiian maintenance

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
So I started working on the issues that seemed to pop up after we ran the Hawaiian last. The reverse bucket issue was solved by lubricating the shifter assembly. It shifts nice and smooth now.

The ( what appeared to be moisture getting into the oil) is being a little more deceptive. To start the boat had sat for 5 years or so. I started it on the hose to build some temp, then changed the oil. The old oil had a cloudy look about it. We took it to Somerville, and notice some steam escaping out the breather. Oil pressure was great, and temp was good. Checked the oil quantity and it seemed a little high. So I started at the timing cover looking for a blown gasket or corroded cover. Although there was some corrosion, I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe there to be a problem there. I cleaned everything, and installed the new gaskets. I checked the oil again, and it really doesn't look bad or even the much over filled. I have an intake gasket set, and believe I'll probably change it then change the oil one more time. Starting to think the moisture I saw was residual moisture from the boat sitting so long.

Good thing is I can also take the time to change all the coolant lines to some better hose. Not in a bind to show the wife what a good boat purchase we had made like before. Lol.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
A few pics of what I'm working with.

Attachments

• 20230722_121312.jpg
    20230722_121312.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230722_125329.jpg
    20230722_125329.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230722_131120.jpg
    20230722_131120.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5

Devilman

That's good man, you get that buttoned up and the intake pulled? Hear ya on the hoses... right there so may as well swap em and be off the list for awhile.

Far as it sitting so long, well, that's not too hard a fix ;)(y)

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Timing cover is all buttoned up. Decided not to pull the intake yet. New coolant hoses are going on, ran out and had to order more. But got all the trailer tires replaced! So time for an oil change and she should be good!

Devilman

Cool! There's something to be said for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... just depends on what degree of "broke" you're dealing with lol. 😄

Devilman

Well since we know it's got a fuel issue, you get it taken care of yet? In case you need fuel line I have some slightly used vintage fuel line can let go of lol

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Well since we know it's got a fuel issue, you get it taken care of yet? In case you need fuel line I have some slightly used vintage fuel line can let go of lol
I don't believe my wife would allow me to even consider borrowing some fuel line from you! I think that pair of sandals still smell like gas! And no, but thank you for reminding me to look for a rebuild kit for my fuel pump!

Devilman

I need to order a fuel pump kit. I found it was easier to ride in Kenny's boat and burn his gas over the weekend!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Riding in it appeared to be the easy part... you actually getting into it was looking a bit debatable for a moment at the end of the day. :D

Devilman

Pear pressure? K 🤭 So, being as how the Hawaiian never made it out, is it safe to say there is still maintenance to be done? :unsure: Looks like there'll be plenty of time now ;)