Got a new ride...

pigpenracing

Picked this boat up a couple of weeks ago. I am sure some of you know it. Going to tinker with it this winter. I may sell the engine and do something different or put nitrous on this one? We will go to Somerville most the time since I live right down the road in Brenham.

pigpenracing

More power.... Why else :)
Not sure what I am going to do but I can't leave anything alone. I was going to put a 1471 on alcohol but that burns to much fuel to be a lake boat. I have built several turbo setups on cars and a bike and that is kinda on my mind. The easy thing to do is add nitrous but I hate filling bottles and dealing with bottle pressure in the heat. The boat is pretty fast but just feels slow to me after driving fast drag cars for years. The excitement is just not there at the current power level. I want fast and super reliable so looking at options. I have my eye on a Pontiac headed 632 with a sheet metal intake and 2 dominators now. I have all winter to decide what to do. If I can get good money for this engine it is for sale.

73 Sanger Flat

How much are you looking to get for this engine?? . I am looking for a back up engine to have for a spare .. What are the specs on it ? Size , est HP . Block , heads Etc

I hear you , I want a Blower engine bad , but it will be a pump gas deal when I do .. We are working on my 598 Pump Gas deal right now ,
Ricky painted that boat right ? Is this his uncles boat ?

pigpenracing

The boat was Ricky's. Ricky Jr painted it and I bought it from his dad. It is a killer boat. I saw it at the lake 3 weeks ago and asked if he wanted to sell it. Now it is in my garage.
To be worth my wild to sell the engine I need $8000 complete carbs to pan. It is a tall deck 496 (427 truck block) 13.5:1, Carillo rods, Dart pro 1 325's, Weiand tunnel ram, 2 Davinchi 750's, MSD distributer etc.

73 Sanger Flat

OK - Just seen the ad on performance Boat also .. Wish i could afford it for a back up engine , but it would need good fuel in it .. I am tired of burning good fuel for a lake boat ..

pigpenracing

100ll av gas works perfect and is way cheaper than race gas. I go to the airport and fill up a couple of drums. I have used it with lots of boost and high compression. I have 38 degrees timing and ran it hard last weekend. It shows no sign of detonation. I have had trouble with bad race gas before but never bad aviation fuel. It never spoils.

WFO

pigpenracing said:
100ll av gas works perfect and is way cheaper than race gas. I go to the airport and fill up a couple of drums. I have used it with lots of boost and high compression. I have 38 degrees timing and ran it hard last weekend. It shows no sign of detonation. I have had trouble with bad race gas before but never bad aviation fuel. It never spoils.

I use AV Gas in my boat that we get from the local airport and did see 1 time where it sat in a 5 gal jug for about 2-3 weeks and it turned kinda orangeish brown color. I did not use it. But yes for the most part I never have a problem with av gas but I  run a 10.5/11.0 to1 comprssion 496. The guys I know that use it in 14/1 motors turn the timing down to about 32 deg.

pigpenracing

I use AV Gas in my boat that we get from the local airport and did see 1 time where it sat in a 5 gal jug for about 2-3 weeks and it turned kinda orangeish brown color. I did not use it. But yes for the most part I never have a problem with av gas but I  run a 10.5/11.0 to1 comprssion 496. The guys I know that use it in 14/1 motors turn the timing down to about 32 deg.
[/quote]

Strange..... Maybe someone dropped some color in it for you. lol!
I have been flying for about 10 years and have never seen or heard of bad av gas. It just can't go bad. You never hear of a airplane go down because the gas was old. I have seen planes sit for 10 years or longer and have no issues with the fuel sitting in them. The really don't release a spec on actual octane. Even though it is 100LL for low lead it has LOTS of lead in it, just low compared to the old fuel they used to make. My opinion is that it is 112 octane or better. The people that are scared to run it talk bad but I have used it for years on nitrous, turbo, superchargers and high compression. I made 3 short hits last weekend on this 13.5:1 engine and pulled the plugs to check everything. All was good so I ran it hard all day and the tuneup is right on. Seems more people in the boat community run it and less car guys. Ricky was running $12.00 a gallon Sunoco in the boat. His plugs actually showed a small amount of detonation. I put in new plugs and ran 60 gallons of av gas through it last weekend and mine show no detonation.

ChryslerJet

pigpen sweet boat

WFO maybe it was a can with some crud from some dried up GAS left in it that ended up getting mixed with the AVGAS when it sat.

customtouch

I have seen that boat at Somerville a couple of times. Super nice boat with a very well executed paint job on it. Congrats!!

WFO

ChryslerJet said:
pigpen sweet boat

WFO maybe it was a can with some crud from some dried up GAS left in it that ended up getting mixed with the AVGAS when it sat.

Yea I'm sure it could have been that but it is a fairly new jug. Like I said I use it all the time as well but did see that once. Not talking bad about it I'm just saying. I will continue to use it.